Shorten Wood Shotgun Stock, How?

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Browing A-5 that I have used at a few local 3 gun matches and it really makes me look good.
I need to shorten the wood stock but don't know how to do it, or I should say, I don't think I will get a second go round at if I butcher it up first time around.
Are there any links someone could guide me to or can someone advise?
Michael

Attachments

• DSC02099.JPG
    DSC02099.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 35

imacgyver

Founding Member
I remember watching this a while ago - not sure how well it is compared to our pros.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54l76JER3dY[/youtube]

honeybee

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Brownells pull and Drop gauge, Here is a link, if you are inclined you can make yourself one so you know that you are not cutting your stock too short or long for your reach.

www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-548%20Pull%20&%20Drop%20Gauge.pdf

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
Is it old? Is it worth anything?

Well, I have asked myself the same question and for decades I felt like it was worth alot, hardly ever used it, always put up and took it down to look at from time to time.
I have watched my dad do the same thing.
The heck with that, I'm going to use it and enjoy it until it quits and then I will do something else.
I going to cut it so it feels good.
I got a nordic tube for it and all I need are tough thumbs to load it with.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
A couple times a year, a custom gun fitter camps out in his rv at the okcgc shotgun range. He will measure you and your shotgun and cutoff and fit whatever you want. I don't remember if it is spring and fall or summer and winter. I will forward the e-mail to Jesse when I hear he is coming.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Well, I have asked myself the same question and for decades I felt like it was worth alot, hardly ever used it, always put up and took it down to look at from time to time.
I have watched my dad do the same thing.
The heck with that, I'm going to use it and enjoy it until it quits and then I will do something else.
I going to cut it so it feels good.
I got a nordic tube for it and all I need are tough thumbs to load it with.

I'll bet something can be done so that your thumbs won't have to be so tough. My SBE was a POS to load shells into, but I was able to tune it. Yours is totally different, but surely something can be done. It's awful to watch people almost just throw shells into their load port, and then realize that you can't do that.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Brownells pull and Drop gauge, Here is a link, if you are inclined you can make yourself one so you know that you are not cutting your stock too short or long for your reach.

www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-548%20Pull%20&%20Drop%20Gauge.pdf

This is good stuff, thanks for the link.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
A couple times a year, a custom gun fitter camps out in his rv at the okcgc shotgun range. He will measure you and your shotgun and cutoff and fit whatever you want. I don't remember if it is spring and fall or summer and winter. I will forward the e-mail to Jesse when I hear he is coming.

I would like to talk to this guy, thanks for the note.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll bet something can be done so that your thumbs won't have to be so tough. My SBE was a POS to load shells into, but I was able to tune it. Yours is totally different, but surely something can be done. It's awful to watch people almost just throw shells into their load port, and then realize that you can't do that.

For some reason, reading your post reminds me of something I read on the net about some modifications to to the lifter, that is all I can remember but this will start me looking. Thanks

dennishoddy

I couldn't tell a lot by the pic, but a run of the mill A5 costs 500-600 on the open market. With options, like a vent rib, up graded walnut, trap grade, or being a sweet 16, can run the price up to $1800-2000. Be sure of what you have before doing anything. ;)

rehi

Fanatic
If your stock is really nice and you don't want to ruin it.
I would go to Gun broker or the gun garage - etc.
and pick up a scratch and dent special to cut down.
Thus saving your original to put back on later.
I've seen some lately around $25-40 even some bell & carlson
fiberglass ones.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
If your stock is really nice and you don't want to ruin it.
I would go to Gun broker or the gun garage - etc.
and pick up a scratch and dent special to cut down.
Thus saving your original to put back on later.
I've seen some lately around $25-40 even some bell & carlson
fiberglass ones.

Thanks, I had no idea synthetic was available for this dinosaur.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
Unless you just want to do it yourself, they do a good job of fitting at Gene Sears in El Reno.

I started this thinking I was going to do it myself.
But when I started learning from all the great suggestions about drop gauges, pitches, etc. I find myself welcoming the suggestions of someone that knows what they are doing.
I need to see the Gene Sears store anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Latest posts