Shooter order

Bentsight

Well-Known Fanatic
Wondered if there is a standard for who shoots a COF first? Around here the experienced shooters score sheets are mixed in random order with new shooters placed at the bottom of the stack.
Seems that some want to go first and others flat out won't go first.
Any other ideas?

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
usually you can say "does anyone mind going first" and you will have volunteers. new shooters always go last, outside of that i don't think the order is that important...

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Seems like most often we will just shuffle the score sheets and someone will pick lucky number one at random, it's amazing how often I can pick myself in this situation. The new shooters are never made to go first but they don't always want to go last either. I prefer to end up somewhere in the middle.

rustin

Well-Known Fanatic
Ususally the guys with the biggest pants make the rules on who shoots when. I've found it's smart to listen to the guy wearing the 64" trousers.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Should just be a random draw with the new shooters having the option of dropping down near the end. I'd just as soon go first most stages. That way, I run my plan, good or bad (mostly bad) and not change my mind as I watch others. I also like to ROing better than taping or reseting steel.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I run my plan, good or bad (mostly bad) and not change my mind as I watch others.
I have a big problem with this. As I watch others, I'll sometimes alter parts or all of my plan & that's when things go to pot.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I have a big problem with this. As I watch others, I'll sometimes alter parts or all of my plan & that's when things go to pot.

I watch the other shooters very closely to spot anything that they've seen that I've missed. Having said that I have learned that a plan I'm comfortable executing may not be the "best" way to go. lol... this enables me to stick with a plan that I'm capable of running. I find that I need to keep things simple and that a plan that quicker for some shooters just isn't in my bag of tricks. lol. Getting to shoot with some of the local hotshots on a regular basis is always a great learning experience.

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
I watch the other shooters very closely to spot anything that they've seen that I've missed. Having said that I have learned that a plan I'm comfortable executing may not be the "best" way to go. lol... this enables me to stick with a plan that I'm capable of running. I find that I need to keep things simple and that a plan that quicker for some shooters just isn't in my bag of tricks. lol. Getting to shoot with some of the local hotshots on a regular basis is always a great learning experience.

This is my problem. I need to stop trying to shoot like Chambers, Jensen, Tish, Anderson and all those other local big name guys. That's probaly one of the biggest reasons I never do well and always get my butt kicked. I need to shoot against myself... SMH

The Antichrome

Wow, yall are really overthinking this. Just go when you're called and dont worry about it.
Also, try to work it out so that Rusty has to go first;-)

Chambers

actual GM
Walk the stage, make a plan, visualize it until you can see every step and every shot with your eyes closed. The process is the same regardless of when you shoot. Do it enough and even the walkthrough becomes subconscious.

I like going first. Sometimes I trip myself up when I try to shave a tenth of a second here or there because I've had too long to think about a stage.

Like Rusty and Sun Tzu said....know thyself.

Biggs

GunZoo
I usually hide in the porta john to avoid going first.

I do like to see others shoot a stage before I go. It's just one more level of planning. Even watching someone shoot the stage horribly can be helpful, but watching someone with a great run can help beef up the mental visualization with a realistic image and pace.

At a recent match we had one shooter in our squad who demanded to go first every time. I really liked that squad.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
After I get the first stage of the day out the way - I have no problem going first - it allows me to stick to my plan - get it out the way - and relax and paste the rest of the stage......

Chris_Andersen

Certified
I agree with Robert that some of you guys are overthinking it. Or at least thinking about the wrong things. Most of the reason that people dont want to go first is that they are not ready to shoot. Either not prepared with their equipment: Mags loaded, belt setup, etc. Or not prepared mentally: Dialed in on a plan and ready to execute it.

I suggest preparing for each stage like you are going to be first on all of them. Show up with your equipment ready to go, load mags after your turn on the previous stage when you have downtime. Get all of those ducks in a row so that you can FOCUS on your stage walk-through. Then take every bit of that 5 minutes or so, preparing, discussing, and practicing your plan. Visualize it, until you can do it all in your head with your eyes closed. If you do all of that you will always truly be ready to shoot. Then just press play and EXECUTE that plan. Then if you arent first, all that means is you will just have a few more opportunities to work on that visualization. But you are ready to go either way.

People put WAY too much emphesis on watching other people shoot. If you dont have your plan by that time, you are WAY behind the curve. And if you think you can impliment something new on really short notice you are usually sadly mistaken. The occasions where that works are very rare, and it is usually always best to stick with what you KNOW you can do (and what you should have already practiced in your head 20 times). If you arent sure about how to shoot a course of fire, discuss it with your squadmates. I have never been to a match with anyone, professional or otherwise that wasnt willing to talk about how they were planning to shoot a course of fire. Think about it like packing for a vacation. If you have your itinierary ready and bags packed the night before you rarely forget anything and that makes for a nice trip. But if you throw everything in your suitcase 30 minutes before your flight, we all know that won't end well.

It is only fair that you go first on at least one stage in a match, and sometimes more than one at the larger matches (We usually like to try to keep a specified order throughout the match, so no-one is caught off guard). But if you approach it with this state of mind, it makes it a lot less stressful.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I am the rare occasion Chris is referring to when he talks about changing your entire plan after watching someone else shoot. I am also the person he is referring to about only doing what you know you can do. Lol!

Chris is 100% correct.

aldrin44

Well-Known Fanatic
As usual Chris is right. This is something I've been working on pretty hard for the last month or so. It also helps to discuss the plan with someone else if you have the chance.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I don't mind going first, just not every stage.
I just hate going last.

As Chris stated, I load mags immediately after finishing my run. This eliminates being unprepared, as far as gear goes, when it's my turn. It also eliminates being halfway thru a stage & realizing I just stuffed an empty mag in my gun.

dennishoddy

I don't mind going first, just not every stage.
I just hate going last.

As Chris stated, I load mags immediately after finishing my run. This eliminates being unprepared, as far as gear goes, when it's my turn. It also eliminates being halfway thru a stage & realizing I just stuffed an empty mag in my gun.

Been there, done that. Like you, after a run, load mags before doing anything else.

Latest posts