Shoot / No Shoot: allahu akbar

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Honestly I think it would all depend on the situation.

My goal is to get through life without having to end someone else's. This isn't to say that I'd think twice about pulling the trigger. I would just rather avoid having to deal with that.

Now for an example, let's say we're shopping at the grocery store when all of a sudden some bearded dude runs in and starts yelling aloha snackbar. He has nothing in his hands, nor is wearing anything that could be considered an IED. The first thing I'd do is get to cover and assess wtf is going on. That would give you enough time to evaluate when this guy is an actual threat, versus someone who forgot to take their bipolar meds that day.

A different example: I parked my car and am walking to the grocery store, and someone with a beard is running towards me screaming "death to America, aloha snackbar". In that situation, you really don't have a whole lot of time to act so you must do your best to scan their hands and appearance. In this situation, after checking their hands, I'd definitely at least get my shirt out of the way and put my hand on the grip prepared to draw if he doesn't stop before he gets within 15 yards. If he gets to 10 yards, the gun comes out. If he still doesn't stop, then I would either have to backpedal or start shooting. If he has a knife or something, he's getting a chest full of HST's, but not until he gets within 10 yards. I want to give them the opportunity to stop.

I know people that have had to take lives and based on what they've told me, it's not something that I want to deal with and it's not a decision that I'd make lightly. I know people who carry who rely 100% on their gun. Those are the people that will make the wrong decision if placed in a situation that calls for less than lethal force.

One more example: you're in a store again, but this time a gun walks in armed, firing shots into the air and now you're in a hostage situation. My first move is to phone the police, get someone on the phone and let them know that I'm armed and will use it if the opportunity presents itself. I don't want the police entering and see me with my gun out and then I'm viewed as a threat. That would be the most stupid move ever. I'd be more likely to get into a position where I can ambush the guy and have guaranteed hits. Under pressure, where your life is on the line, shooting someone who might be wearing body armor requires a head shot. That's a very low percentage shot unless the distance is close, which is why I'd try to position myself to ambush him when he's close enough to guarantee that I'd be able to pull that shot off with adrenaline flowing through me. More than likely the first couple shots would be to the armor and then the rest would be at the head. I've never been shot in body armor before, but I've been told that it's far from pleasant and disorienting when it happens.

Now change the above scenario into one like the Orlando attack. Find cover, hopefully in a position where you can ambush him as he's distracted. If you can't get to cover, start shooting back. Your options are very limited when you don't have cover.

Most people carry to protect themselves, and their loved ones. I carry for the same reason. If I can get out, I'm getting out. Call it cowardice, but I'm not running towards the sound of gunfire. SWAT enters and sees you and you're going to be dead. No thanks. I'll help others escape, but I'm not going searching for a shooter. That's just the wrong decision to make. Put yourself in SWAT's shoes, you make entry and see some dude moving around with a gun drawn, you're probably going to shoot the dude. I would.

Latest posts