SethMA40356

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
So... I tried a Shooting log on Benos once and didn't get anything but negative feedback from anyone and i was very disappointed with it. However after looking at AIRIC's log and noticed how much he has improved since he started his i figure it is time to give this another shot(pun intended). I am going to backdate my log abit to include Space City and OK L10/PR Sectional thoughts and reviews.

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
First off my Goals of 2012 Shooting Season.
#1 - Live/Dry fire alot more.
#2(old goal) - Get my A Card in Limited
#2(new goal - Get my A Card in Limited 10
#3 - Shoot at least 4 Major Matches to include at least:

Space City Challenge
OK L10 Sectional
Doubletap Championship
Nationals

Optional Matches:

Texas State Limited
High Desert Classic
Area 3
Area 4

#4 - Maintain at least 90% of the points available for EVERY match i shoot
#5 - Place at least Top 5 in every Major(Nationals at least Top 16)

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
21APR12 - Space City Challenge:

First Major of the year was Space City Challenge. I had a hard time with this match because my back messed up the morning of the match and i wasn't able to shoot at my original time i had to wait till the next day.
Overall i was pleased with my match considering i was being very cautios on account of my back. I was way slower than normal and on any stage that i would normally twist to shoot certain targets i squared up on them so i didn't injure my back any further.

The good:

My points were the 2nd best i have ever shot at a Major(Area 4 2011 is 1st with 92% of the points and 30 Penalty points) 90% of the points with 30 Penalty points.
Reloads were very smooth, transitions felt great, and i won 2 of the stages which i had never won ONE stage at a major match before and i got 2 of them here.

The Bad:
I was SLOW, my steel shooting wasn't even close to par for the course, and my ammo was smoking REALLY BAD(we think we have this fixed but will be able to tell more later).
Results for Space City Challenge:

6/10 Split - 5th / 16A / 21.18s HF = 3.7771
Stage was Thrown out HF = 0
King Pin - 1st / 23A / 4C / 3D / 1M / 23.61s HF = 5.3791
Powerhouse - 4th / 19A / 3C / 23.30s HF = 4.5923
Grandma's Teeth - 1st / 22A / 10C / 14.79s HF = 10.1420
Standards - 7th / 9A / 10C / 3D / 2M / 21.77s HF = 3.2614
Ball Return 2 - 5th / 23A / 7C / 2D / 34.53s HF = 4.2572
Messenger - 5th / 13A / 3C / 2D / 17.28s HF = 4.6875

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
19MAY12 - Oklahoma Limited 10 / Production Sectional:

This match was awesome. Great setup although unorthadox it worked very well. The stages were great and the match was VERY WELL RUN. The staff was very plesant throughout the entire day, only had a few problems with some of the props but the squad made the day so fun it was amazing. Kelly Cambell taught me alot during this match even if he doesn't know it. Watching him shoot was a great thing to me as i haven't seen him shoot since i started trying to be serious about my shooting. If you ever get a chance to shoot with him PLEASE do.

The Good:
I shot 89% of my points with only 10 PENALTY POINTS(a no shoot). My accuracy on paper has been something i have struggled with my entire shooting life and i felt as if i shot this match the best EVER.

The Bad:
STEEL STEEL STEEL STEEL and i felt alittle slow. I have always hated steel which is why at ITPSC we always ALWAYS shoot a ton of steel. If i don't practice it alot i lose the ability to shoot it worth a damn. I was also getting flustered on stages as i am still not used to Limited 10 and I have realized that i need to spend more time studying stages and planning my reloads better.
What i take away from this match that i need to work on is steel, more paper accuracy and stage planning.

Results for OK L10/PR Sectional:

Shoot Fast, It's Done - 12th / 10A / 1C / 1NS / 13.78s HF= 3.1930
Thru the Hole - 1st / 5A / 3C / 2D / 12.20s HF= 3.3607
Windmill - 15th / 6A / 3C / 1D / 21.72s HF= 2.0258
Swingers - 9th / 8A / 2C / 17.05s HF= 2.8152
Thru the Ports - 14th / 5A / 4C / 1D / 9.73s HF= 4.4193
Thru the Barrel - 2nd / 7A / 1B / 2C / 11.74s HF= 4.0034
3 Steel - 7th / 18A / 1B / 8C / 4D / 29.61s HF= 4.5255
Moving Back - 4th / 27A / 4C / 1D / 39.65s HF= 3.8588
Thru the House - 5th / 19A / 9C / 2D / 22.61s HF= 5.9708
Left to Right - 6th / 16A / 1B / 11C / 26.18s HF= 4.8892
As Fast as You Can - 4th / 19A / 12C / 1D / 14.98s HF= 9.6796

Also something i forgot to mention: Need to train going prone and kneeling. Stage 11 at the OK Sectional was really bad because i went prone and when i did it knocked the breath out of me. Another note, LOSE WEIGHT.

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
Doubletap is coming up and training has begun. First off i look at the stage designs(as best i can from the pictures). Luckily Robert is one of the best people for making the stages look almost exactly on paper as they will in the actual stage. I look at the stage designs and figure out what specifically i need to brush up on for the match. Below i have included my notes for each stage and then a summary of what i think i should brush up on to do great at this match. Keep in mind that these things are in ADDITION to my normal training.

Stages are posted here http://www.doubletap... tap Stages.pdf
Stage 1 - Looks like there might be some pretty tight shots because of the way the walls are laid out and the holes left don't look very wide(all the way in each port?), Some steel and swaying targets.

Stage 2 - Tight shots?, but all stationary, some tight shots at steel and reloads, a stage plan will be essential as to not lose what/where you have already shot.

Stage 3 - UNLOADED START i repeat UNLOADED START from a table, and stage planning is going to be BIG on this stage so you don't lose your place and so you know when to move the chest. (notes: will it be faster to run and get gun/chest from left table and then shoot RIGHT TO LEFT or start shooting on the LEFT and halfway get/deposit chest and continue shooting?)

Stage 4 - Swinger's and low ports seem to be the only concerns MAYBE a few tight shots but seems pretty straight forward.

Stage 5 - DROP TURNERS!!! Seems pretty straight forward, alittle bit of steel and alot of paper, Moving and shooting and precision reloads will be key in this stage. ALSO loaded start but not from the holster, REMEMBER BOAT IS NOT PART OF SHOOTING AREA so MOVE FIRST!

Stage 6 - Bear traps, Tight ports and Steel O MY! Should be pretty straight forward just remember to practice your turn and draw technique.

Stage 7 - Cross Chest with strong hand draw, CAN NOT MOVE if you are NOT on the plank. Depending on the size of the plank might want to be thinking of how to shoot with LEAST amount of Reloads so you don't have to reload while walking a skinny board even though you CAN fall off without penalty doesn't mean you should risk doing so. Could also practice reloading while walking on a railroad tie to get used to keeping your balance and reloading WHILE moving.

Stage 8 - Looks like some OPEN and some TIGHT shots on this stage with alittle steel thrown in for good measure. Planning will be very important on this stage also.

Stage 9 - GUN CONTROL GUN CONTROL!! Practice moving around things with your gun ALWAYS pointed in the same direction because it looks like there will be some running then backtracking then running again in this stage. Safety should always be on ones mind but go slow if you need to because moving fast and DQing just means you moved really fast to the truck. Popup targets are the easiest of moving targets IMHO, if you have difficulty make sure you practice on those also.

Stage 10 - Probably going to be some Strong hand unsupported depending on how it works. This stage will take alot of planning but mostly SEEING IT should be enough.

Stage 11 - not really sure but from what it is saying you can't set the anchor down so i anticipate some Strong hand and maybe a few instances of Weak hand shooting. Looks like all OPEN targets though so shouldn't be to terribly hard to plan for.

Stage 12 - Looks like he saved the best stage for last. Stage 12 is going to be interesting because #1 it's a UNLOADED START and you have to load gun from MAGAZINE ON THE TABLE, then wade through the ball cage to where you need to shoot. However all the targets seem to be wide open except the swinger.

In summary here are the things i see that need to be practiced:

Kneeling or bending a shooting.
UNLOADED STARTS(loading from mag on belt AND from mag on table).
Swingers, Drop Turners and Bear Traps OMY!
Steel seems to be at a minimum for this one but alittle practice can't hurt.
Strong Hand and Weak Hand shooting.
Tight Shots.
Open Targets making sure you don't transition TOO EARLY and pull shots.
Moving all different directions while keeping gun pointed in a SAFE direction.

I hope that this helps some people prepare for Doubletap. Please let me know if you have any suggestions/comments about certain stages.

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
03JUN12 - Live Fire Training

ALRIGHT! Went to the range today and put a few hundred down range with Airic.

Drill #1: El Prez

Run #1: 6.11s / 6A / 6C / HF = 8.8379 / CMCALC = 81.82
Run #2: 5.89s / 6A / 5C / 1M / HF = 6.7911 / CMCALC = 62.87
Run #3: 5.77s / 11A / 1C / HF = 10.2253 / CMCALC = 94.67

Drill #2: Oklahoma Standard

Stage Design: s s p p p s s
Shoot Left most steel, 2 in each paper, Left steel on the right, RELOAD, rightmost steel, 2 in each paper, right steel on the left.

Run #1: 10.04s 7A / 4C / 1D / 4St
Run #2: 13.17s 8A / 4C / 4St

We also ran a couple of little made up stages with small amounts of movement but hard transitions and some Steel > Paper and Paper > Steel Transitions, reloads, unloaded starts and surrender starts.

OK. my goal of the day was ACCURACY. on the first #2 Drills it wasn't where i really WANTED it to be but they also weren't as bad as the last practice. My reloads felt GREAT, transitions were feeling good also. Since i was working more on accuracy than speed i felt slower than usual(which i think is normal). My unloaded starts will need more work which i will do in dryfire this week.

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
First Day of DTC is over and i had a pretty good day. I had a hard time with one of the swingers on stage 4. Shot at it 3 times and only hit it once. Never had a problem like that before so it surprised me that i missed. Anyway moving on. Shot pretty good till stage 8 on the steel some splatter came back and hit @ the bottom of my glasses making my right eye impossible to see out of and i had to shoot the last 3 pieces with my left eye. That cost me a bit of time.

Overall enjoying the match, pretty good stages, GREAT SQUAD all these guys have made it awesome.

I have been told by a couple people i shoot with regularly that i am holding back on Major's instead of shooting them like a club match so tomorrow i am gonna try and just relax and shoot it like i would any other match. This problem has held me back, according to some, to the point that if i could get rid of my hesitation i could shoot much better.

Goal for tomorrow, shoot like it is a club match and not a major.

Obiareus

Well-Known Fanatic
Since i am starting to shoot Production and leaving Limited behind me for awhile i am going to start a new Log so i can start fresh and not have any old habit's holding me back. In the spirit of doing that i would like for a mod to either A: Delete this log for me, B: just lock it. Would prefer delete since there was nothing useful posted in this forum and it won't help anyone shoot gooder.

Starting a new log as soon as i get my new training schedule worked out. kkthxbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts