Sentinel Concepts AAR

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Where to begin?

Essential Handgun Employment 2/9-2/10 2019.

I used my BEC built Gen4 G19 with a Trijicon 6.5moa RMR, 124gr S&B 9mm FMJ, Skinny Guy Customs Kydex IWB holster with OWB mag carriers and a Dark Angel IFAK.

Steve's class starts with a quick safety briefing that covers what to do in the case of an emergency. One of his requirements is a IFAK or TQ on every students as well as his larger med bag in close proximity at all times. I have only taken a couple small classes for CCW type training and this class was a far step up in my comfort level for safety and how guys and gals handled their guns.

Once on the line the class starts with a 25 yard slow fire group to a B8 target. We fired between 550-600 rounds between the two days and every round is accounted for and critiqued to gain an understanding of what the gun,grip or trigger pull is doing to change the impact of the bullet. There is never a round fired just for the sake of round count. Once a baseline is established then we moved closer and worked drills from 5-15 yards working on grip and building a foundation to work from.

Steve addresss every target and every student after each drill to help the student gain a better understanding of what they are seeing and feeling as to train us to be better at self diagnosis through grip pressure, watching the gun track and bullet impact to be able to go and practice what he teaches. This class is training not just shooting drills or practicing. Steve builds on his drills to reinforce what you are learning. He has a fun and interesting method of building up speed and then backing the speed back down to accuracy at distance and closer ranges.

Day 2 started again with 25yrd slow fire and then my biggest improvement and chance to really get my grip dialed in. Then on to drills and more teaching moments as each student was able to break down their grip and positioning even further to build their foundation and work through Steve's instructions and drills. This class is a lot mentally to take in. Steve and his AIs continued to remind us that it's our money and time and to get out of the class what we want. If you want to just make noise with bullets you can or you can take notes, ask questions, get some one on one time and build, build, build on your skills.

One thing I continually noticed as a student would ask a one on one question after a string of fire. Steve would stop down and gather every one around because all of us were there to learn and each of these questions helped all of us gain a better understanding of what we were feeling and seeing with our grips,triggers, sights and targets. Steve really is a teacher of pistol shooting.

The class included @pscipio03 and his wife, John from Active Self Protection and the gunsmiths from VangComp as well as a few regular guys like me that just wanted to shoot better. I can't wait for next year.381438103813

Now for me. We had changed shoulder positioning and posture on day one. I have long slim hands and have never felt like I could lock down on the sides of the grip with the area of the palm below my thumbs. I've always felt like my support hand was just squishing my strong hand into the gun more. But by day 2 Steve had taken the time to address all of our shoulder positions, elbows, wrist and grip. The process starts on the draw and builds from the shoulders out. I took notes and had my wife take pictures when I returned home to try and capture what I was seeing, feeling and doing.

Where I started. 3812
With my elbows locked out I needed more tilt at the waist to control recoil and the gun would "flip" as my wrist broke down.

End of Day One- 3809I had a more upright position and some more bend to my elbows and increased grip pressure.

Day 2-3811
By starting with rolling the shoulders down and back it limits the amount of extension I was getting and helped me to not "puke the gun out" at the end of my draw. With my elbows bent down and rotated in it pulled my left arm back slightly. That also helped to rotate the bottoms of my hands together to finally get that grip I've been after. I have never heard or watched a video talking about setting the shoulders down and back. That and rotating my elbows down and in are my two biggest take aways to build from as well as the vast quaintly of drills Steve used to diagnose and work on our techniques.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
You're on a 1911 forum talking about a training class you took with a Glock. Why didn't you use your 1911?

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
You're on a 1911 forum talking about a training class you took with a Glock. Why didn't you use your 1911?
Because I wanted to train with the RMR. I don't have a 1911 with an RMR yet. Once Chambers, Nighthawk or GI get their mount worked out I will be back on a 1911.

The RMR is enough of an advantage that I chose to get my first Glock just because of the ease of mounting.

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
Because I wanted to train with the RMR. I don't have a 1911 with an RMR yet. Once Chambers, Nighthawk or GI get their mount worked out I will be back on a 1911.

The RMR is enough of an advantage that I chose to get my first Glock just because of the ease of mounting.
I have a carry 2011 with a RDS in .38 super in the works. Should be the perfect carry gun, IMO.