Segregating by headstamp

oldglock

Well-Known Fanatic
How many of y'all segregate your AR 15 brass by headstamp? Within a headstamp group,such as LC, how many further segregate their LC brass by year? and again, within a headstamp group, how many segregate cases by weight?

dennishoddy

For my close range hoser ammo out to 100 yds, I don't sort anything.
Anything longer, or for hunting ammo, I'll sort by mfg.
I've never sorted by year.
I know in shotgun older hulls are different than the newer one, aka AA hulls.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I haven't sorted out any .223/5.56 cases based on any criteria other than damage. Every one of them was processed the same way. All primer pockets chamferred. Sorting brass is awful.

JamesB74

Fanatic
The guys that don't sort .233 brass. Have y'all had a problem with the brass not head spacing correctly between the different manus?
I.E. you check the shoulder on a Winchester. And then a PMC doesn't size back as far? While running it on. Dillon.

Sent from my island villa by carrier pigeon.

oldglock

Well-Known Fanatic
I sort by headstamp and year for target loads and weigh long range loads. But also use mixed brass of an unknown number of reloads and label them plinking loads for my son, his squeeze, and myself to blast away at whatever.
Re: headspace differences, obviously you should completely full length resize all brass to be used in the AR. The sizing will set the shoulder and thus the headspace. therefore all brass resized with the same die setting should have an identical shoulder location.

Oh yea, sorting is a pain. I use a magnifying glass to help.

JamesB74

Fanatic
The sizing die touches the shell carrier everytime. So I don't comprehend.

The sizing die is a FL die and it is touching the shell holder.

What I have found is that some brands won't resize to the same dimensions as others. Using a Hornady headspace gauge one case will size back .004 and the next one won't. It will be around .002. Maybe. Then further down the next one has sized back .010. So some large fluctuations.

I have looked at the press base to see if there is any flex that is not supposed to be there. And have pulled the die apart to see if any crud is inside or parts out of alignment or damaged.
They have all checked out.
Doesn't happen all the time but enough for me to take notice.

Sent from my island villa by carrier pigeon.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a Sat@rn barrel in 223 wylde everything chambered but was a pain to unchamber random rounds, solved problem with a small base die. Ammo in question worked with all other AR's I had access to.

For over 100 yds I use range pickup with same headstamp.
Any thing closer is random headstamp.

If you don't think internal capacity is different try loading different headstamps with 27grs of varget some will run over some do not

Just my random thoughts
Later,

Latest posts