SDA - derringer, revolver or semiautomatic pistol

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I was recently reviewing the SDA and was reminded of a question I have always had about one particular section.

TITLE 21 § 1290.14. Safety and training course. Section E

"The course shall provide an opportunity for the applicant to qualify himself or herself on either a derringer, a revolver, a semiautomatic pistol"

Why is derringer even mentioned? It seems like such a specific type of weapon. It just seems kind of weird and archaic to have a derringer listed specifically. Has anyone ever said "Yeah, I'd like the derringer license"? For that matter, as limited as the firearm training in the OK SDA class is, why do we even specify a type of firearm at all?

My guess is that is comes from some ancient law defining what a weapon is?

Sorry, just felt like rambling.............................

BC

Bk2X

Well-Known Fanatic
The goofy thing is, if you just do semi auto you can carry any type except some ridiculous .50 cal gun. I had a lady in my class that specifically only put revolver cause she thought she would never carry a semi auto. Never understood why she wouldn't do semi auto just in case there was an odd situation where she only had a semi available.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
we are the only state that allows licensed carry that has a caliber restriction.. if I wanted to carry a .50 GI Glock or 1911 I should be able too...

I would have my students at least shoot a semi auto just so they wouldn't be limited...

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
36 states honor our cc.

Not bad, Dennis. I don't know if it is right or not but it is very specific. The answer I was looking for is:

Per Title 21 § 1290.26, the State of Oklahoma recognizes any valid concealed carry firearms permit or license issued by another state. The permit must be issued by the state and not a county or law enforcement agency.

[EDIT] 36 is correct:

oklahoma_map.t.gif

map courtesy of http://www.handgunlaw.us/

dennishoddy

I'm up for renewal on my CCL, so I've been doing a little research. Just got my renewal packet in the mail yesterday. I'm going for the 10 year.

Kansas is the last of our neighboring states to get CC. It always bothered me since I'm close and go there all the time, but its all legal now.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I thought the call-out for derringers was extremely bizarre also. The book I got at my class had some information that our lawyer told us to just black out, and I'm not sure if that's because it was written by a 55-year-old with a fourth-grade command of grammar and legal knowledge, or because it was legal nonsense. I think it was legal nonsense. The SDA coverage seemed to include a bunch of unnecessary language. My class was at H&H, and the lawyer was Doug Friesen.

dennishoddy

I thought the call-out for derringers was extremely bizarre also. The book I got at my class had some information that our lawyer told us to just black out, and I'm not sure if that's because it was written by a 55-year-old with a fourth-grade command of grammar and legal knowledge, or because it was legal nonsense. I think it was legal nonsense. The SDA coverage seemed to include a bunch of unnecessary language. My class was at H&H, and the lawyer was Doug Friesen.

Was it the part about an "adjudicated moron"?

Rodshoot

Well-Known Fanatic
I was recently reviewing the SDA and was reminded of a question I have always had about one particular section.

TITLE 21 § 1290.14. Safety and training course. Section E

"The course shall provide an opportunity for the applicant to qualify himself or herself on either a derringer, a revolver, a semiautomatic pistol"

Why is derringer even mentioned? It seems like such a specific type of weapon. It just seems kind of weird and archaic to have a derringer listed specifically. Has anyone ever said "Yeah, I'd like the derringer license"? For that matter, as limited as the firearm training in the OK SDA class is, why do we even specify a type of firearm at all?

My guess is that is comes from some ancient law defining what a weapon is?

BC
How about CLEET wrote OK training requirements, and some of it is leftovers from old police policy that shouldn't have been included?
I have taught CHL classes in differnet states, and OK's state-mandated lesson plan is the worst I've used or seen, anywhere. The authors could not decide whether they were training police recruits to shoot, or trying to restrict people from getting a license. Some of the first draft was thankfully thrown out by the legislature (mandatory passing scores, one proposal was to use the entire CLEET qualification course) but silliness and gaping holes remain (recording the model and serial number of the gun used to qualify).
It is really frustrating that students get all wound up about the shooting part and don't pay attention to the laws, which is what they really need. You can't teach defensive shooting in one day, and IMHO we should quit pretending we do. I can and have passed the OK firing part of the CHL course left-handed, with my eyes closed. What's the point. in doing it at all?

twotonevert

Well-Known Fanatic
I know this thread is about a month old, but just having taken the class recently I too thought the derringer was strange. In the class I took, you are only allowed to fire a revolver or semi auto, so why include the derringer if you are not allowed to qualify with it?

Latest posts