Scoring preference and why?

toothandnail

Well-Known Fanatic
Junior Sims said:
Ok ya'll have gone way over my head. I'm going with percentage points per stage because I am the average shooter and with that being said I average at least one tanked stage per match. You can shoot a great match and tank one longer stage and your done with straight time. Just no way to catch up.
How many times have you had a better total time than another guy, yet placed several places behind him because of stage points? I'd say I've got shafted by stage points way more than I've benefited.

Or are most MD's not showing the total time in the results, just points?

I really can't figure out why so many are confused about the way this works, unless this is the case.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
toothandnail said:
How many times have you had a better total time than another guy, yet placed several places behind him because of stage points? I'd say I've got shafted by stage points way more than I've benefited.

Or are most MD's not showing the total time in the results, just points?

I really can't figure out why so many are confused about the way this works, unless this is the case.
In 3-gun? That happens a lot in USPSA because of the hit factor scoring requiring accuracy but I don't see how that is possible in 3-gun. Unless you shoot long range really fast but shoot all the fast stuff really slow.

toothandnail

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
In 3-gun? That happens a lot in USPSA because of the hit factor scoring requiring accuracy but I don't see how that is possible in 3-gun. Unless you shoot long range really fast but shoot all the fast stuff really slow.
Yip, the 100 stage point matches .
I am usually faster on the SG and rifle stages than pistol. Since most matches are pistol heavy, that gives an excellent pistol shooter a big advantage .
If the round count is close between all 3 guns the 100 pt stage is not as big a problem.
Another problem many matches don't use all 3 guns on every stage,
one recent one, I didn't sign up for.
10 stages , all stages 100 pts
pistol on 10 123 rnds
rifle on 7 71 rnds
SG on 7 81 rnds

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Shooter #4 had a faster overall time than shooter #3 but Shooter #3 beat shooter #4 on 7/10 stages. Without knowing the stage I can't comment on how that was possible. Looking at the times on Stages 3 & 4 I'm guessing those were long range because shooter #3 had really long times compared to the other top 5 guys. Shooter #3 appears to be a better shooter but sucks at whatever was on stage 3/4 or had gun issues on 3/4. That's just a guess though.

The guy with the time of 641 looks like he got screwed out of on spot. He beat the guy ahead of him on 6/10 stages and had a faster time but less match points. Those tow shooters times are all over the place so its impossible to guess why anything happened there.

The guy with 730 points lost one place due to stage points versus total time. Looks like the guy ahead of him tanked stage 4 similarly to the first example above. The guy that beat 730 point guy in points but not time beat 730 point guy on 7/10 stages. Looks like stage points worked correctly on that stage.

Looks like stage 3 & 4 got the guy with 917 total time too. The guy ahead of him beat him on 6/10 stages but he lost a ton of time on those long stages. That is why I don't like total time. The time keeps on ticking to the point that you can lose 1-2 small stages worth of time on one stage.

Latest posts