Scopes and Eye Relief

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
So, I recently got a browning x bolt and Talley one piece mounts, I also got a bushnell elite 4500 2.5-10. I really want to like the scope because it seems to be one of the few left that are legitimately made in japan(at least it is stamped japan) but the eye relief is only 3.3 inches and I have it as far back as I can and I am getting the black ring in the sight picture, I have to move my cheek to almost the forward edge of the comb on the stock, not my natural cheek position. So my question would a scope with better eye relief solve this? Nikons seem to have generous eye relief, but I am unsure of their quality today. Any advice would be appreciated.

dennishoddy

Nothing wrong with Nikon. That is my scope of choice with the Monarch model on most of my rifles. I have a bushnell elite on my .270, and its fine with the eye relief.
A lot of the one piece scope mounts move the scope forward. You may have to go with standard scope mounts on a rail and move the scope back to where its comfortable.
Do you have a pic of your setup?

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is a picture, but as it sits right now, the only way to get the scope back any further is to get a one piece base that traverses the bolt opening and even then, would put the objective bell right over the barrel taper/chamber. I dont know if the LOP on that rifle is just too long for that scope or what. I can see through the scope just fine, I just cant get the entire picture so to speak.

Attachments

• 20171204_203224.jpg
    20171204_203224.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 14

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is a picture without scope, as you can see, that forward ring is as far back as any would go without a single piece base.

Attachments

• 20171204_204209.jpg
    20171204_204209.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 13

dennishoddy

You need different rings it appears
Here are two of my bolt guns with different ring set ups to get the eye relief correct.
Leupold rings if I remember right. If you notice, I had to hang the base over a tad on the bottom rifle front ring to get enough room to move the scope back more but it doesn’t effect function of the gun.

778aa90c5e5f87404bd5f5362d9458ce.jpg

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
The rings are in the same position as your bottom rifle and if i had the top rifle configuration the problem would be even worse. The only way to get my scope back further is to put the forward ring right over the bolt/ejection port.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Here are some. In order for me to get the full frame of the scope the bell would be about where the forward ring is. Dont know if LOP is too long but my natural cheek rest is where green boresnake is and i have to move to red to get full frame.

Attachments

• 20171205_045047.jpg
    20171205_045047.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20171205_045007.jpg
    20171205_045007.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20171205_050018.jpg
    20171205_050018.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 9

dennishoddy

You may need to think about a new scope that's longer. If you notice in the pics I posted, there is a definite difference in the length of the tube.The lower pic with the Simmons Atec is just about too short. The longer Nikon has another inch to play with.
Or, there may be some offset rings out there that would bring the scope back to the correct eye relief.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah. I think I'm going to try a prostaff 5 2.5-10x40 they are listed as 15 inches and some change with 4in eye relief. Would a monarch be worth the extra money? 150 bucks is a couple boxes of ammo anf range time.

dennishoddy

Thats a good scope. I have one. For hunting purposes, if there is any way you can afford it, go with the Monarch. The light gathering properties of the Monarch scope is noticeable When comparing the two side by side in real low light conditions. Either will work well.

dennishoddy

Jonathan Waits said:
Is the monarch any longer? The prostaff is cutting it close.
There are several different models/lengths in the Monarch line as well as the prostaff.
You would have to go to the Nikon website and check the specs on the individual scopes.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah. I wish they were as forthcoming as redfield. Nikon stats are inaccurate. They list this particular model as 15.5 inches. It barely makes 14 with the eyepiece extended and caps on and with the eyepiece collapsed is only 12.5 inches. Redfield has upper and lower eye reliefs listed and even lists available mounting space and even dimension diagrams, i just like the ergos of nikon better. I really wished that bushnell worked out. The fit and finish and mechanical parts deffinitely seemed a little nicer than the prostaff. How does the monarch compare in that regards? Is it still plastic caps and turrets?

dennishoddy

Mine aren't plastic, but they have a few years on them. Current models? I don't know.
Manufacturers are always looking for a way to save a buck and get a selling point. Back in the day all the tubes and caps were steel, then later on, they had steel or aluminum threads encapsulated in a plastic cover, and finally if what you're saying, they have all gone plastic. Two reasons, weight, and profit.
The gun and accessory business is a cut throat world. Advertizing you have the lightest scope is a selling point.
Your concern with LOP on that stock may hold some water now that you've gone through some scopes, and are still experiencing some issues. That would be the next place I'd look.

Latest posts