Scope I can use for 3 Gun and Hunting

Jared Lyden

Well-Known Fanatic
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what scope I could but on my new AR15 and my Bushmaster .308 that would work for both 3 gun and hunting.
I was looking at Burris and Nikon. Any other ideas.

Jared Lyden

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
Tac 30 on the low end
Vortex Razor 1-4 in the middle
Swarovski Z6I on the high end
Thanks, I think I might have to start on the low end, since I am wanting to put one on each gun that way I'm not having to change the scope to each gun all the time.

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
Nothing wrong with a tac 30.

Do you absolutely want the magnification? If not get a eotec or prismatic or true irons? Might save some money.

MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Well-Known Fanatic
Depends on what kind of hunting. Short range deer, sure, a tac 30 or MTAC would do fine. Longer range, quite honestly you may want more magnification. Yeah you can hit a deer at 250 yards with irons but personally I like to have a more surgical and therefore humane shot, and the only way I can do that is to get into the 9x range.

Also the MTAC's reticle sucks for night hunting, the lowest setting is too bright and too big. An ACOG is excellent and the Z6 would probably be nice but the MTAC is lacking. The scope isn't all that bright at night either.

dennishoddy

Hunting:
3X9 for semi open areas.

4X16 or more for my area, where the nearest tree is 1/2 mile away.

Although I will have to admit seeing the iron sight guys at Camp Perry hitting 1000 yd targets with a 7" group, back in the late 80's.

Different game though.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
MTAC 1-4X for the 5.56, and MTAC 1.5-6X for the .308. But as Dennis says, depends on terrain you hunt. Anything over 4X is overkill where I live.

MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Well-Known Fanatic
disagree. glass is only so so and fov is not up to par. Id much rather have a sub $100 1-4 than this 1-6
I have yet to be impressed by any Leupold. My hunting buddies love the hunting models and have several but personally I think it is due to great marketing. I'm sure they are reliable but the eye box, field of view, and colors due to the coatings hasn't ever been my favorite.

Latest posts