Scope help

Shotgunn25

Fanatic
I just did my first 2gun shoot yesterday. I have an EOtech 512 on my AR, and had it sighted in at 50 yards. At this range, the longest shot was about 50 yards, but almost all of the others were between 10ft to 60ft. I had a lot of trouble with the closer targets, mostly missing low. At this range I'll be competing at, the longest shots would be 50 yards. Should I zero the scope to say 25 yards, because of the short distance of the long shots? I also need some advice on how to handle the closer shots. Thanks for the help.

OR3GUN

Sponsor
If you're zeroed at 50 yards, the most you should be hitting low with an Eotech on an AR-15 is about 3 inches at a target that is 10 feet away. Assuming this is cardboard at this range, how far off are you from where you are aiming?

Running a 25 yard zero, you will still be hitting a couple inches low on a target 10 feet away. You will be hitting a couple inches high at 50 yards. If this is all you are off by, just learn to hold high on close shots.

If you are further off than the above, something else is going on with you or your rifle.

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
I wouldn't zero any closer than 25yds. The difference between a 50yd and 25yd zero isn't much at 10 feet. You'd be better served learning the holdover and honestly at 10ft I'm not sure you should be that focused on sights. A good index should pretty much seal the deal.

I'd recommend doing a lot of close stuff in training. Perhaps doing "ready up drills" at 3-7yds using a shot timer on a 2-3" circle until you're comfortable with the holdover. I'd zero for the most challenging shot and hold off for the easy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shotgunn25

Fanatic
They were cardboard targets. I was several inches off on the first shot and more on the second. All the targets had to be shot twice. One of my problems was getting back on target quickly after the first shot. I'm going to help rectify some of that problem with a good muzzle brake.

I really need to go out and practice with the AR. I had never used it like that before.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I bet it was fun as hell and you loved every minute of it. Shoot some groups with that Eotech to make sure it isn't defective. Tons of them have or have had problems over the years.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Zero for the hardest target at 50. I like to dead center on the slow/hard stuff rather then holdover.
On the close stuff with small targets like head shots inside 25 you just have to remember to sin at the top of the head to hit the A zone. On full size paper don't aim just point and shoot. If you see Brown behind the dot hammer on it.