school question

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
Starting Nov. 1, 2014, any handgun licensee can have a gun in the car on school property but it has to be hidden when the vehicle is unattended.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2013-14%20ENR/hB/HB2614%20ENR.PDF

I'm not sure about employees specifically, but if they have a handgun license, they will be covered after 11/1/14

Until then, it is a felony to leave a gun in your car unattended on school property.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
Spencer said:
Starting Nov. 1, 2014, any handgun licensee can have a gun in the car on school property but it has to be hidden when the vehicle is unattended.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2013-14%20ENR/hB/HB2614%20ENR.PDF

I'm not sure about employees specifically, but if they have a handgun license, they will be covered after 11/1/14

Until then, it is a felony to leave a gun in your car unattended on school property.

yeah this person would be an employee. I just want to be sure because i don't want him losing his job if they happen to search all the cars and find a gun (which would be hidden and in a gun safe)... thanks..

TerryKendell

Well-Known Fanatic
Searching all the cars sounds like a Fourth Amendment violation.
If you have a school parking permit (most schools require students and employees to have one)
Then School officials have the right to search cars if they think there is a need (No Warrant Needed)

okorpheus

Well-Known Fanatic
After November 1,you should be safe unless the school board adopts a policy for employees. I doubt any school has such a policy already since nobody could have a gun on campus under the law. In any case, the supremacy clause of the state law would make such a policy invalid. You can always park on the street if that's possible near school.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
I wanted to post an update to my previous comment:

According to a position statement by the BATFE and a recognition of the same in a letter from US Senator Jim Inhofe, the Gun Free School Zone Act prohibits carry or possession of a firearm within 1000 feet of a school unless the possessor has a valid Handgun License issued by the State in which the school is located.

This is crucial for several reasons:

1. Non-resident handgun licenses have become increasingly popular for a variety of reasons and, while a person may be a resident of the state in which he finds himself within the stated proximity of a school, he is in violation of the GFSZA if he is carrying on a non-resident license and cannot present one issued by the jurisdiction in question.

2. For those carrying a license issued by his home state, and which state has a reciprocal agreement with the state in which he is currently located, he will be in violation of the GFSZA if he is within the proscribed distance of a school in the state in which he does not reside.

Obviously, there are multiple Constitutional conflicts with the GFSZA but the fact remains: If you are carrying solely on a NR handgun license, or are carrying on YOUR state's license while in another state, you are committing a felony under the GFSZA if you find yourself within 1000 feet of a school.

I'm not going to go into the odds of this being an issue or any of the other what-ifs involved. I just wanted to point this out so that if someone here knows a person who is parking at a school with a gun in the car under a reciprocal license (whether an out-of-state resident license, or a non-resident license) you can warn him of the potential legal **** storm he's facing.

Latest posts