SCDNR ranges closed due to federal shutdown

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
MCA and I tried to go shooting at Philsons this morning and arrived to find this:

image_zps67a8f0cf.jpg

What???? It's in Sumter National Forest boundary land but all the affiliation posted is with SCDNR. And the only guy they "pay" only gets brass from the collection trap so I'm not sure how funding is an issue.

Wouldn't be so pissed if they would have updated the SCDNR site saying the range is closed.

Really feel like this and other free, open air monument closures are a cheap shot from the administration like dangling a carrot..."do what you're told and you can have your stuff back..."

MCA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for posting that 11B. Just got back home and was about to do the same.

Nothing like a 75 mile round trip for nothing! What a crock. I guess we saved some ammo?!?

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
"do what you're told and you can have your stuff back..."

That's exactly what it's about... They "shutdown" and the people that end up paying the price are those down the line. The ones causing the problem never do. That being said I hope the Conservatives hold their ground for once. This administration needs to be put in check in a major way. That's just my opinion though.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Avtomat-Acolyte said:
Is there anything preventing your access other than a laminated piece of paper stapled to a post?

I wondered this too. Can you be charged with tresspassing on federal property (don't I own a piece of this due to my tax dollars?) Who are they paying to enforce this if they are infact shut down? If you are charged can you lawyer up and ask why others have not been charged for the same publicised violation at other memorials?

MCA

Well-Known Fanatic
Avtomat-Acolyte said:
Is there anything preventing your access other than a laminated piece of paper stapled to a post?

A large steel gate that was locked with a chain. I guess one could leave your car outside the locked gate and walk the 1/4 mile up to the range with all your gear and targets if you were so inclined and wanted to.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
For the record, the SCDNR wrote me saying they weren't aware of the closure and even the US Forestry service's website didn't indicate any ranges being closed as of 11am today.

There are still some SC owned ranges open and I'm trying to figure out which ones those are.

As far as accessing the range, since it's federally owned but DNR operated, and I imagine Lauren's county sheriff has some sort of agreement there (a deputy threatened MCA with a ticket one day :roll: ) so I'm sure someone would end up arresting me.

Tom

Active Fanatic
As per my post on "range time" we went to the Twin Ponds Rifle Range yesterday, gate locked, we just walked to the range and shot for an hour and a half. However, as we were leave, here comes a DNR officer, we didn't stick around. BTW, there was no notice on the gate.

bilall

Well-Known Fanatic
Looks like all the Francis Marion and Sumter National Forest Service ranges are closed according the the DNR list.
The state-owned and operated ones are listed as open. These are:
Webb (Hampton)
Palachucola (Hampton)
Belfast (Laurens / Kinards)
Pickens DNR (Pickens)
Manchester (Sumter)
J. O. Thomason (Sumter)

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
obammy cant tell me that closing parks and such will save more money than, say, stopping up the teats that a few dependant, only because its polititcly correct, countrys suck on.

stop sending welfare to other nations that really dont need it and probably doesnt get to the people anyway.

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
It's not about saving money. It's the Washington Monument strategy. Close everything and make it inconvenient for everyone, even if it cost's money to close it. They even closed a bus turnarond at the Mount Vernon. It has zero cost, but actually took time and effort to put up barricades.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
John Canuck said:
It's not about saving money. It's the Washington Monument strategy. Close everything and make it inconvenient for everyone, even if it cost's money to close it. They even closed a bus turnarond at the Mount Vernon. It has zero cost, but actually took time and effort to put up barricades.

Yep...this about sums it up. Play along, don't rock the boat, and we will let you keep your normal mundane lives.

Hillbluffer

Fanatic
Yep, I remember doing the last government shutdown all the ranges were closed then too. No reason for it except that it pisses everyone off. I guess the Feds want to show how important they are.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Tom said:
As per my post on "range time" we went to the Twin Ponds Rifle Range yesterday, gate locked, we just walked to the range and shot for an hour and a half. However, as we were leave, here comes a DNR officer, we didn't stick around. BTW, there was no notice on the gate.
OK, so let me get this... They can't pay someone to unlock the gate, but they can pay the same guy to harrass you when you trespass on the property you paid for with your tax dollars?

Interesting what they choose (yes, choose) to shut down: Veterans' Memorial, rifle ranges, etc. Hit those right-wing patriotic freedom independence extremists where it hurts.

It's all a power play. I didn't get my way so I'm taking my ball and going home.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Want to save money? (Who knows if these numbers are accurate, but you get the picture.
Hamas - $351 M,
Libya $1.45 B,
Egypt - $397 M,
Mexico - $622 M,
Russia - $380 M,
Haiti - $1.4 B,
Jordan - $463 M,
Kenya - $816 M,
Sudan - $870 M,
Nigeria - $456 M,
Uganda - $451 M,
Congo - $359 M,
Ethiopia - $981 M,
Pakistan - $2 B,
South Africa - $566 M,
Senegal - $698 M,
Mozambique - $404 M,
Zambia - $331 M,
Kazakhstan - $304 M,
Iraq - $1.08 B,
Tanzania - $554 M

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
and guess where the wars are. civil unrest, poverty.

think we might be funding death the world over?

if only we could get this message to the one in charge.

thanks for looking that up, big.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
Avtomat-Acolyte said:

This.

And if the sign were removed, it would be very difficult for anyone to show that you knew about the closure, would it not? Just saying.

Besides, I'd be interested to see if a South Carolina DNR official wants to enforce a Federal closure. If so that would be an interesting interaction to record and send to your state representatives and to the governor. I suspect Gov Haley is not really a fan of playing along with the closure theatrics, and Sen Lee Bright might have something to say about it as well.

Latest posts