Saw A Benelli Slam Fire

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
One of our squad mates was in the process of pulling his M2 out of a barrel at the Ozark 3 gun match. He was racking the gun with his trigger hand and as he let the handle go the gun went off into the barrel.

Slam fires are no joke. Keep that muzzle in a safe direction into a berm and more than 10' away from yourself and the RO.

dennishoddy

HMMM.... I'm trying to figure out how this happened. I've shot tens of thousands of shotgun, and never had a slamfire.
Did the firing pin spring fail?

jtischauser

That would be the logical problem but who knows. Maybe Kurt has seem it happen before and has already figured this mystery out.

Swifty

Well-Known Fanatic
The same kind of deal happened to me with my STI. When i racked it, the hammer followed and it went off. It scared the hell out of me.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds about right. The 5 Year cycle is coming around for Benelli "trigger job gurus". Seen this cycle since1998. Lots of reasons you cant screw with Benelli triggers, but every 5 years or so "someone" figures them out!

jtischauser

I know my guns could use better triggers. I had someone do a trigger job on my M1. It is a lot lighter and shorter than all my other guns. I also shoot slugs a lot better with it as a result. Thus far it has run fine. With that said I don't really want to sacrifice reliability or safety for a better trigger pull.

The Mossberg JM 530 and FN SLP that I had temporarily in my safe had much better factory triggers than my Benellis. Any idea why that would be?

P.E. Kelley

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know about the Mooseburger but the FN's trigger system is quite different than the Benelli and that difference
can account for the better feel.

FYI JT I ain't pokin you as I agree that good triggers are great and I enjoy them on my rifle and pistol but oddly have adjusted to, rather then adjusted
my Benelli's.

And WE BOTH manned-up! and shot the slugs at the Pro AM off-hand!

jtischauser

My wonderful cheater triggers on my pistol and rifle make my Benelli have trigger envy. Somebody needs to make a drop in trigger that feels like my AR Golds and JP's.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
I know exactly why FNs, Mossbergs and 1100s have better triggers. I do trigger jobs to those guns. I also know exactly why you shouldn't dick with Benelli/ Versa Max triggers, but it would take way too long to explain it. Feel free to get them done, just don't rack rounds out of them from the mag tube, and dont jar them around too much and you will be fine.

jtischauser

So without going into details that I wouldn't understand anyway would you say that the Benelli design is more reliable from the factory or is it just less complex or what?

Latest posts