Saving for a blue machine

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Finally putting money aside to upgrade to a Dillon. I am looking at the 650 and will be starting with 9mm. What do I absolutely need to get started? what upgrades are needed and what is something I can live without? This will be a huge advancement from using a Lee Single Stage for the last 6 years. The single stage works, just need the quantity, sucks 2 hours to do 200 on single stage and that's starting with prepped cases already.

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
If you buy it set up for 9mm all you will need are dies and components. I've had mine for almost two years. I've loaded several thousand rounds of 9mm and .223 with no problems. Great machine.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks I have dies, they are lee dies. I am not worried about them working, I heard they are not a problem on the dillons. I was just wondering on the extra stuff I see on dillons page. I know I don't need the case feeder, was thinking do I need the powder check, roller handle and that type of stuff. I spent this morning reading the upgrade posts page.

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought the powder check system, but not the roller handle. I use lee dies in mine, you might have to put the lock ring on the bottom instead of the top, but its no big deal. I did buy extra toolheads so I could leave the dies set up when I swap calibers. I wish I would have bought another powder measure, but for 80 bucks I just reset it.

Glock_21

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a 550 a while back. Great machine.

A couple extra primer tubes are nice. Get a couple toolheads and powder dies. I have a strong mount, bullet tray and empty case bin. Nice but not necessary. Same with the roller handle. The allen wrench set and holder are worth a look. Again, not a necessity but nice to have everything right in front of you.

Make sure to get a spare parts kit. Those are relatively cheap and worth every penny.

Check the charts in the back of the manual before buying a bunch of caliber conversion kits. Lots of parts interchange.
This page is wonderful for figuring out what plates, buttons, and funnels will interchange.

http://thegunwiki.com/apps/calconversion/index.asp

Bryan Hoover

Roller handle is a must. Imo
Get a quick change kit if you are running more than one caliber frequently. Case feeder really helps if you are doing volume.

TerryKendell

Well-Known Fanatic
The Basic 650 will get you started, you can use your Lee dies but Dillon are better

Later on you upgrade with the following options

Case Feeder
Strong Mount
Roller Handle
Powder Checker

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks everyone. So I am looking at the roller handle, couple extra primer tubes and the powder checker. I will eventually use it for 223 too. With eventually I'm sure that will be a month or two less after getting one the way I am.

Jesse Tischauser said:
Too bad you're not closer I'm thinking I might sell my 650.
I would have bought it now if that was the case, sure its like new. Another reason to hate living in NY. :sarcastichand: At least I can laugh at my situation. Another reason to work on convincing the wife to move when I am eligible to retire in 5 years and find another job. Kids will will be the problem I already know..

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
If money is tight, skip the powder check. I have never used one....Haven't had a squib in 40k rounds.

If your not anal enough to look in the case every pull of the handle, they get the powder check.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah been going back and forth with the powder check. I think I can do without a powder check and grab a parts kit still saving some money.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
I got mine with the "As it should be" upgrade from BE with my XL650.
I got the powder check as well.

Glock_21

Well-Known Fanatic
Throw a spare parts kit on the order as well. It includes a lot of wear items. When something breaks, replace it immediately from the parts kit. Then call Dillon to have them replace your spares. Eliminates downtime.

Once you get the blue press set up you will wonder how you ever got by without it.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I wish I'd gotten a Dillon instead of my Hornady L-n-L AP. I've already broken the advancing pawls twice and it seems like the seating dies are made with a tolerance of +/- 4 feet.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had the sheet metal "strong mount" the press is not as ridged as it is mounted directly to a decent bench, with it.

Also didn't like the roller handle but that is just a personal preference.

I would get the powder check first, keep you from posting a kaboom thread, maybe.

If you have dies in a tool head and get an extra powder bar along with the die that the measure mounts too you can have a pretty quick change for low buck. Only need to bac off one socket head cap screw to swap out one bar for another.

dennishoddy

David Marlow said:
I wish I'd gotten a Dillon instead of my Hornady L-n-L AP. I've already broken the advancing pawls twice and it seems like the seating dies are made with a tolerance of +/- 4 feet.
Sounds like you might need to time the pawls there is a procedure for this.

What seating/brand dies are you using!

Latest posts