Savage Trophy hunter package?

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
So i am shopping around for a bolt action and i saw that this particular package is relatively priced well and comes with a nikon scope for about 480 at academy. I was originally looking at tc ventures until i saw the model 11 package. So i am wondering if that package is any good or if the "package scopes are garbage" rule applies to this and i should just try to find a good quality used rifle and scope it up myself?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I got the 11vt from academy with a Bushnell scope on it. Nothing fancy about the scope, but I took it off as soon as I got it home cause I had a Vortex in the safe waiting on it.
I'll probably throw it on a .22 rifle at some point.
Once a month it seems they go on sale for $399, which is when I got mine so $420ish out the door.
The rifle is a great shooter. I got a 1 hole 5 shot group at 80 yards a couple weeks ago.

dennishoddy

Depends on what model the scope is.
I have several Nikons, and really don't have an issue with any of them. As the price goes up, the low light capability goes up as well. You want low light features if your using it for a hunting scope.
The Path finder on my Muzzle loader is great for a short range dim sort of light. The Monarch is not night vision, but you can pick out a knats ass in the dark woods and shoot it.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
I think the consensus is that it is a prostaff but not sure. My interest in it is simply because of price mixed with quality. From what inunderstand the 11 is a medium grade rifle and the weight feels good to me, more so than something in axis class. The venture is about 430 at its cheapest, by the time i scope it, well it would be out of budget. Alternatively i could just scope up my AR but it has an a2 post and i think i eventually want something with a little more oomph and i have just always wanted a bolt action, grew up on a bolt .22 and just love the feel of them.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Indeed. Just so many options out there, just when i think "thats the one!" something else comes along. My budget would probably be around 500. I really wish TC would hurry up with the compass, looks really good and msrp is 399, but am worried its going to be super light and flimsy. The venture and model 11 feel like they can take some recoil and wont wave around too much.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Matt Rigsby said:
I got the 11vt from academy with a Bushnell scope on it. Nothing fancy about the scope, but I took it off as soon as I got it home cause I had a Vortex in the safe waiting on it.
I'll probably throw it on a .22 rifle at some point.
Once a month it seems they go on sale for $399, which is when I got mine so $420ish out the door.
The rifle is a great shooter. I got a 1 hole 5 shot group at 80 yards a couple weeks ago.
Correction to this ^ I mistakenly said I got my rifle at Academy, but I got it from Dicks. The 11vt is a package rifle Savage does for Dicks.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Alright. I will keep an eye out for sales and maybe wait for that compass to come out at the end of the summer. Another plus for the 11 is apparently it can be customized to all hell and is easy to change calibers and other parts quickly.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Savage 10 and 11 have about as many aftermarket options as the Rem 700
That's one of the reasons I went with the Savage, having previously owned a Howa.
Howa, also a very good rifle, just not huge offering on the aftermarket.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Scope and stock as far as I know.
Maybe barrel profile. The 11VT has a bull barrel, not sure about the others.

Prostaffs are the best cheap scope out there. Blows the vortex cheap ones away, imo. What are those, crossfire? cant recall.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, just from looking at it in store, and the vortex that comes with the patriot, I liked the Nikon a bit better, not sure if it was just the lighting in cabellas vs academy though lol.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Thing about the Savage is say down the road you get tired of say you get a 243... knock the barrel loose, unscrew and put say a 308 or 7-08 OR change out the bolt head and go to a 223 OR WSM or about any other short action caliber. I know you probably have heard it before but do yourself a favor and buy a good scope! it might take a week or months of skipping lunch out but your eyes will thank you in the long run and you'll be happier. Later,

Kirk

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
So bass pro has a sale going on leupold rifleman 3-9x40 with rings for 199, alternatively they have the nikon p223 3-9x40 with p series rings and a windmeter for 199. Are these good deals? Also i know the p223 is made for ar, but would it work on a bolt action?

dennishoddy

Jonathan Waits said:
So bass pro has a sale going on leupold rifleman 3-9x40 with rings for 199, alternatively they have the nikon p223 3-9x40 with p series rings and a windmeter for 199. Are these good deals? Also i know the p223 is made for ar, but would it work on a bolt action?
Get some prices for those same scopes from eBay to see if it's a bargain.

Latest posts