Samson magnifier REVIEW

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
[SIZE=16pt]Making the most of your red dot/ holographic sight with the Samson MFG 3.5X Magnifier [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]As some of you know I have been graciously chosen to be a member of Team Operation X Men from a great company called Samson Manufacturing. This team was chosen to represent Samson Mfg. all over the USA. What it consist of is testing their product and giving them a review good or bad. They are putting their product in the hands of shooters of all kind weather they shoot competitive or just leisure. The team’s first product to test came out this last week to be put through the paces. And WOW the guys didn’t disappoint. They sent out their Samson 3.5 X Magnifier with Flip-to-Side RAM Mount. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]After taking it out of the shipping box the first thing I noticed was the nice plastic box it comes in for protection (they didn’t skimp on this box) and it says right on it MADE IN THE USA. After taking it out of the box the first thing I noticed is there are NO DIRECTIONS. Yes some people don’t need direction however ALOT of people do. I also noticed the riser block was built very solid, next came the Flip-to-Side RAM Mount. It is an actuated spring to the side mount activated by a push down lever (more to come on that). Seeing two sets of flat head screws, I was very surprised to see that they used flat headed screws to mount this system. Not a great idea flat head screws on any system seem to strip fast. Allen head or torques would be a far better option. Now on to the magnifier all I can say here is WOW this rubber coated devise is nice. Using rubber to coat this is a great idea. Who knows when you may be shooting in the rain or trying to manipulate the system with sweaty hand’s. Instantly I ran outside. Looking through the magnifier I was impressed. It is very clear glass with fully broad band multi-coating, everything was so close and clear. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]With the housing of the glass being made out of aluminum and rubber the optic only weighs 230 grams and an overall length of 117mm (4.6”). This doesn’t add much weight to your firearm at all. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Mounting the system[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Now onto mounting it on my weapon. I chose my Franken gun I build for my daughter. Not having a red dot or halo sight I had to barrow one. The only thing I could find was an EOTech. Mounting all this was very simple (with the horrible flat headed screws) without directions.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] After admiring this whole work of art package I soon noticed two adjustment screws, one is an up/down and the other is a left/right. All I could think of is “what the heck are these”? Playing around with them I soon noticed that they are centering screw to center the magnifier up with the sight ahead of it. Samson has thought of everything. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Maybe not everything[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I thought to myself they have everything covered on this system. Not so fast DIRECTIONS are a must. I soon tried to manipulate the Flip-to-Side latch and I had a hard time running the small lever and I have small fingers. Yes there is a cut out on the other side to make more room. Yes, I could just switch the whole thing around so it swings out to the right instead of the left, but then if I swing it to the right I would take a chance of brass being deflected into the glass and cracking or shattering it. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]To The Range [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Finally 50+ degree weather and the chance to put it to the test. The guys at Samson said if we break it they would replace it. Wrong thing to say to me… yep first thing I did was take it off and drop it on the rocks. You guessed it. It held up! Then I gave it the barrel test. In and out of the dump barrel several times just like it would at a match. With the magnifier flipped out it would catch the side of the barrel a few times. No big deal here as all a shooter has to do is pay a little attention to when they are dumping it. On to the targets we went. I set up several targets in line at distances of 5-100 yards as to represent a match situation. Target manipulation at 5-8 yards was difficult with the magnifier flipped up. However this is not the intent of this piece of equipment. Moving out to farther distances is where the Samson magnifier impressed. Targets at 25-100 yards became very clear and easy to see and hit with this 16” barrel. Well let’s stretch this thing out to 300 yards (the longest yardage I can safely get on my range). Impressed is an understatement. This Samson magnifier was clear as day with the EOTech. Even my 10 year old daughter was able to manipulate it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Conclusion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]In conclusion, would I recommend this product? YES! The selling points being, made in the USA, great glass, light weight, durable, 65mm eye relief, water proof, +/- 30 MOA, true 3X magnification, easy focus adjustment, very universal for most any red dot/halo sight, quick detach RAM base, and priced right. At approximately $389.00, compared to some of the competitors product being around $200.00 more. The only thing I feel the guys at Samson need to change is making it more ambidextrous, different screws and include directions. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Review and test done by [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] Mike Wolever [/SIZE]
View attachment 8838 View attachment 8839 View attachment 8840 View attachment 8841 View attachment 8842

Attachments

• IMG_20150116_182957_098.jpg
    IMG_20150116_182957_098.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20150118_112454_360.jpg
    IMG_20150118_112454_360.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20150118_112111_801.jpg
    IMG_20150118_112111_801.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20150118_193632_289.jpg
    IMG_20150118_193632_289.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20150116_183030_646.jpg
    IMG_20150116_183030_646.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 12

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Good review mike! Personally I've never had any interest in a magnifier but if I did this would niw be my first choice.

Latest posts