Same user name on multiple forums (digital footprint)

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
In light of another forum being bought out. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on using the same user name on all these different forums?
Does this leave a digital footprint that is easy to follow?

I should say that I don't wear a tinfoil hat but.....it does make me wonder who might be interested in what we post and or discuss on these forums, especially a gun forum. It's obvious that eBay, Amazon and Pinterest keep track of what we are interested in so I can only assume that when a forum is purchased by a large conglomerate all your information is being used for some sort of profit.

Thanks
CJ (aka stromberg);)

Last edited:

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree... That's partly why I keep on using "ButchA" as a screen name all over the place. This forum, that forum, the other forum, etc... It's my first name/nickname and the first initial of my last name.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I use the same screen name on gun forums. I have a couple of different ones on car forums, where we talk about guns almost as much as cars. Not sure why. Just random.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
It would be very hard and pointless to try and police the entire forum and only allow 1911 talk, we (members) surely have more interest than just that one thing and once you get to know some people you start to talk about other things.

WC145

Well-Known Fanatic
Same here, I've been WC145 on all the forums I use for at least 10 years, though sometimes I forget the caps lock and use lower case letters - 'wc'. Not trying to throw people of the trail, just not paying that much attention.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
the nSA knows every call you make, every word you post...BFD

we are NOT the bad guys--at least as long as the GOP is in control of the government

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
This isn't the NSA...public companies.

There is a link between your browsing history, and what you buy with those store little money saving cards. They give you a discount because they track you ever step of the way.

Ethanol Red

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm on Facebook so this doesn't scare me one bit. I'm pretty sure my data was breached by my bank anyway. None of you are safe if you use online anything. Just get used to the idea and you'll be better off. This at least gives us a place to hang out. The cost? Your identity. Oh well. I'm not really a good target. I hope that they pay my CC bills. I'm picturing some hacker all disappointed when he realizes I have less than him. Priceless.