S&W M66, M686 of M19

Which Model do the enlightened ones recommend??

• Total voters

Huckelberry75

Active Fanatic
I have the itch for e snub-nosed flame thrower. Not interested in the SP101/GP100 snubbies. Thinking that I want a .357 Smith with either the 2.5" or 3.0" snout. Can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of the Model 19, Model 66 and Model 686? Where are Leighton and G.E.D. I need them????????

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Drew I voted 66. But I am biased cause my dad had one and it wad a hoot to shoot. Pretty easy to carry in the short version too.

66 is the stainless twin of the 19 which is blued. They are both K frames.

686 is a stainless L frame (bigger than K)

If you plan on shooting any appreciable amount of 357 other that just a little or for carry, then get the 686.

I own two model 4" 19's now (I know, blasphemy!)

So you know what my choice is.

I just love the K frames size for my medium-smallish hands.

Snubs in these models arent as easy to find as the 4" and larger versions

ExSniper

Well-Known Fanatic
If smaller size is the goal, go with the K-frame. If you can find one with the short-tube you will like it!

Huckelberry75

Active Fanatic
Dang, I found a 686+ without the lock for $650 with a 2.5" snout. Oh the horror, i have a couple more days before funds are in-line. Where is a shady banker when I need one. =) ...just kidding.

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a 686 and love it. The trigger is as smooth as butter. I have had alot of 357 pistols over the years, and the 686 is by far, my fav.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Pretty much exactly what Mike C. posted. There's just something about the 19/66 K frame, IDK it just works. It just "feels right". Don't know how to splain it.

If you do go with a 19/66 stick with 158 grain loads in full house .357's. The K frame is prone to cracking the forcing cone and the awesome 125 grain loads are a big contributor to that problem and the 110 grain ICBMs will pretty much guarantee it, so the story goes. If you go 686, shoot all you want of whatever load you choose, it won't care at all.

I have a 4" 19, 2 66's (4" and 2.5") and a 686 (6"). I love them all but the best shooting one is actually the one Burk spoke of. I bought it, and it's a shooter. It is my IDPA gun. :D

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
3" 66. The best available (and a price to match!)

CIMG0109.jpg

CIMG0108.jpg

CIMG0106.jpg

Bubber

Well-Known Fanatic
I voted 686 because it is an L Frame and should hold up better with the Magnum loads. But if you are not shooting it much a K frame is as good. Later rdd

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
The 686 is bigger. You should see if you can handle some to see how they fit your hand. My hands are long, and so I like the feel of a larger frame size. Barry Greyson put a lighter spring package in my brother's gun (a 686), and it is retarded-awesome to shoot. Amazing.

honeybee

Well-Known Fanatic
What do you want me to say, I voted 686 because it is a bigger number? Hey size does mater right?
Well I get to work on all of them and the 686 has the fewest problems of the three and you can do more with it.
Enough said.

dlbleak

Fanatic
if you are going to carry possibly, don't forget about the fixed sight 65 and 13. here is a 65 3 inch athat is a good shooter. it has an action job and makes one heckofa range gun also.
P1010218.jpg

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the itch for e snub-nosed flame thrower. Not interested in the SP101/GP100 snubbies. Thinking that I want a .357 Smith with either the 2.5" or 3.0" snout. Can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of the Model 19, Model 66 and Model 686? Where are Leighton and G.E.D. I need them????????

OKIDOKI. I didn't vote, but I'll try and add to what everyone else has posted. Most was pretty good advice.
As much as I love blued S&W revolvers, thats just it, they are pretty till you have to carry them alot. They will wear on the finish, and they will rust if your not up on daily maintenence. So for me the model 13's/19's are good, but there is better.

Model 66 & 65, as already stated is stainless steel(That can rust too) and as with the blued models already listed have the same issues with ammo. Niether of the four will last very long on a steady diet of 110gr or 125gr loadings. Now if you can find it, one of the best loadings for these guns is Winchester's 145gr STHP(Silver Tip Hollow Point). It'll give you everything the 125gr loadings offer, without beating the gun to hell. Other than that if your planning to shoot lots of .357 loads, stick with any of the 158gr HP loadings, they will still get the job done.

Model 686/681. The L-frame, of course they also have their blued twins the 586/581, with the 681/581 being fixed sighted guns. Any of these have all the goods of the K-frame's(Grip size) an can shoot pretty much any .357 loading out there. I've gotten rid of all my L-frames cause I don't care for all the muzzle forward weight from the full lug. If I were to get another I would look for one of the US Custom service guns. They came in 3" and 4" barrel lengths marked as CS-1 -2 -3, and all having round butt grip frames. The 3" is the best balanced of the two, and yes not alot of them out there, so they will be pricy!! There was an overrun at S&W back in the late 80's early 90's on these marked CS-4, that were sold with bead blast finish, and lazer marked on the side plate as ".357 Security Special", most were sent oversea's to be sold on the European markets, but instead were sold in the military Rod & Gun clubs, and they made this also in a 6" version too, so you could get the whole set of 3", 4", 6".

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Good info Leighton. This is one that I let get away that I still regret (we all have one regret, don't we?)

PC090002.jpg

And this was my Dad's Model 66. Its not a snub nose obviously but is was the best shooter I've handled in a long time.

Smithright.jpg

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
I wish you would quit posting pics of that one. I drool all over my keyboard...

I aim to please! :)

Now if you can find it, one of the best loadings for these guns is Winchester's 145gr STHP(Silver Tip Hollow Point). It'll give you everything the 125gr loadings offer, without beating the gun to hell.

That's exactly what I carry in the aforementioned 3" 66.

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk, I do understand. I have owned two of the CS-1's both with 3"bbl, and have let them slip away from me, besides even with a good belt and holster, they are alot to pack around. The K-frames are easier to pack around all day. As to ammo, yeah I've got a few hundred rounds of the 145gr STHP on hand for my 66-2, but its usually loaded with .38spl 158GR SWCHP+P from Federal, or Remington. Even out of the short 2.5"bbl of that 66-2, they hit with authority, are very accurate, and followup shots are quick. Its what I load in all my .38spl. guns, and even keep that loaded in my Marlin 1894C for in the house.

Its really to bad Winchester didn't load the 145gr bullet in .38spl with a +P listing, I think it would have been a good load.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank

I feel that the Heavy Barreled K Frame in 3 inch may be the perfect general purpose revolver ever. 19/66 are nice, but adjustable sights can break or shoot loose. The HB SW's have an un ramped front sight... a little easier to pick up than the Baughman-style ramped sights on the tapered and longer 4 inch guns.
My 65 HB 3 inch is about the last gun I'd trade or sell.
If you want to shoot a LOT of 357 mags from a K frame, find a milder load that doesnt produce a lot of flash.
The K frames will get flame cutting damage and go out of time after a steady diet of boomer loads. If you are a heavy load junkie - get a L or N frame gun or a Ruger.

Huckelberry75

Active Fanatic
For Hot Tamales, I have a GP-100 for getting the Bang-jollys. K-frame would be a mild target loads at the range and a few cylinders of boomers to verify POI/POA, then pack it pack it pack it. I find that I carry my 649 more than my 3" SA Sub-compact V-10 .45. So upgrading to a 6 shooter just makes sense.

Latest posts