S&W M&P 15-22 vs Ruger 10-22

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
another (shorter) comparison between (2) semi -auto .22 rimfire rifles.

The contenders:
The Ruger 10-22 I've had for many years, put a lot of rds thru it, more than any other 22 rifle I've owned.
Have not shot it very much the past 10 or more years.. been shooting larger,more powerful rifle cartridges.
Has a (? brand) spring kit for the trigger, otherwise it's a mostly stock 10-22.
Trigger spring kit was installed so many years ago, can't remember brand.
Ruger has had several different scopes, currently wearing a Rimfire by Burris 3X9 X 40
also has a Butler Creek pistol grip folding stock I put on it, over 25 yrs. ago.
Think it was called another brand,when I bought it.. maybe Eaton (?) before it was purchased or taken over by Butler Creek?
as I had a bipod, on the S&W, I used a plastic rest, that is there for anyone's use, at my club's range.
it is similar to this rest :https://www.ebay.com/p/2254424448?iid=392992935399
The S&W M&P 15 -22 was purchased new back in Feb. 2014. having become appreciative of all the AR format offers,
I looked @ various options for an Ar-15 style .22 , including drop in conversion kits for .223/5.56 AR's,
Uppers w/BCG's to attach to Ar-15 lowers, & the various brands of AR copies, made as close to the AR format as possible.
Decided the S&W M&P15-22 seemed to be the best choice for me, so bought one.
Came with 30 rnd mag..which is too long for shooting off a bench, fortunately I discovered S&W makes a 10 rnd mag that works much better.
I mounted a couple of scopes on this as well, is now wearing a Simmons 4X12 X40 8-Point scope.
I installed a J&P reduced power trigger spring kit, shortly after getting the rifle, to improve & lighten the trigger pull, (it helps)
This rifle has a stud adapter added to a lower rail, so I could attach an inexpensive bipod, which was used for the test.

the test : consisted of 5 rds. fired from both rifles @ 50' (max. distance @ the indoor range)
ammo was the same box of CCI Blazer 22 Long Rifle ammo.. with a 40gr. waxed lead bullet.
As Rifles were COLD from sitting in my truck overnight, after the initial 5 rds. I let the rifles rest & warm up, sitting on the bench for approx. 45 min.
I wondered if the rifles were cold, it may affect their accuracy.
Then, I fired 5 rds. from the S&W, 5 Rds from the Ruger, back to another 5 rds from the S&W & back to another 5 rds from the Ruger.
1st 2 pics show the 1st 5 rds. shot @ each target.
2nd 2 pics are all 15 rds. fired @ targets.
last pic os a close up of the "winner"
I left off all the disclaimers I mentioned in my comparison of my (3) 380 pistols, but same info holds true.
The test is what it is,.. different day, different ammo, different shooter, etc.. results might be different.
I do find it interesting, & informative when I do these type comparisons.
Makes my range time more fun, too IMO.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
1st 5 shots S&W 15-22 https://i.postimg.cc/6p7Nb27t/S-W-M-P-15-22.jpg
1st 5 shots Ruger 10-22 https://i.postimg.cc/QdRZ2855/Rug-10-22.jpg
15 shots S&W 15-22 https://i.postimg.cc/jdSTNktW/M-P-15-22-2.jpg
15 shots Ruger 10-22 https://i.postimg.cc/QxY3qkdf/Rug-10-22-far.jpg
close up of Ruger 10-22 https://i.postimg.cc/05fxzqRR/Rug-10-22-close.jpg
I sorta expected the Ruger might shoot better..it has a nicer trigger, IMO..
but didn't expect the difference to be as pronounced as it turned out.
The bullseye is 1" in dia. the white box is 7/8".. aim point was crosshairs in the center of white box.
( and guess I need to adjust the S&W scope a little better )

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
as I posted..I've had my 10-22 for a LONG time..bought it in the late 70's -early 80's.
I actually gave it to my oldest son, who rarely shot it. I'd bought a newer 10-22, for myself (after giving him mine )
Didn't like the new rifle as well as the old one, so I asked him if I could trade with him..I wanted my old rifle back.
He was o.k. with that, & since I still had my old rifle in my gun cabinet, it was an easy trade. :)

A few yrs. ,ago, I was shooting @ my indoor range & a guy was shooting a Savage heavy barreled .22 bolt rifle.
It was shooting dime sized groups @ 50'..maybe even smaller. I was impressed.He let me shoot it, & I liked their "accu-trigger."
I was looking on a local gun website @ handguns & rifles for sale (a daily habit) found a like new Savage for sale,
just like the one I'd shot, so I bought it. It is more accurate than my 10-22. Even considered buying some match grade 22 ammo, to see just how accurate it is...which is a joke, 'cause my shooting is always the limiting factor in how well a firearm I'm shooting, shoots.
(Though I can shoot some better than others)

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the back story. I haven't had mine as long, but fairly long. Mine was a Christmas gift from my son in his first Christmas in '88. Well, with help of my wife of course.
I agree with the trigger actuator, me, being the limiting factor to accuracy. Wish I had the steadiness, eyes and reflexes when I was 25 and the knowledge I have now.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
" Wish I had the steadiness, eyes and reflexes when I was 25 and the knowledge I have now. "

Don't we all ? ;)

Probably why someone came up with the saying, "Youth is wasted on the young"

When we're young, we spend a lot of time doing stuff that as we get older, we realize was a waste of time.
Time spent is time that's gone forever.

I came some realizations :
1) as I'm getting older, I don't (can't) do things as well as when I was younger.
2) I'm never going to be as young as I am right now, so it's only going one way..(downhill)
3) Anything I like or want to do, should be done NOW, not put off for sometime in the future ( may not be able to do it at all, later)
4) My ability to do some things less well as I had done them in the past doesn't mean I can't enjoy doing them to the best of my ability now.
in fact, I get more enjoyment in doing things now, I'm more appreciative of the things I am able to do.
5) When I start feeling down about getting old(er), I think of all those I've known that did not make it to my age.
6) Lastly, I Thank God every night before I go to sleep, for the day He's given me.
I also thank God every morning for giving me another day to do what he'd have me do, & to get it right.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I now want to get my 10/22 out. Thanks for the work
I got mine out a month or so ago. I currently own 3, I love these. The one I shot is an old one kinda beat up but shoots like a drean, and is not fussy what I shoot in it! It has an old 2.5 Weaver centerfire scope on it and I shot one ratty hole with it at 25yards. Dead centered and maybe 1/2 high. don't remember how many rounds I shot but it was probably 20ish? Nearly as good at 50 yards. It's a beater, but a definite keeper.

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the thread !

.22 stuff for me is hit or miss when it comes to EXTREME accuracy and different guns like different stuff. If I need tack-driving performance I'm likely to use the centerfire Daniel Defense or any M4 with a decent barrel.

I went the MP-15/22 route and have a few. Mostly for commonality in a training rifle with the M4s. The Smiths are lighter but otherwise operate identically to the M4s from an operator perspective. They do tend to hang up more than their centerfire cousins but that's par for the course with rimfire IMHO.

You can't go wrong with either the MP or the Ruger; I think folks like what they like and that's great. I've usually fitted mine with some form of RDS (strike fire, Sparc AR, even an EoTech sometimes for training).

So whichever ya like just make sure to get them out and SHOOT them !

Latest posts