S&W for CCW

WFT.

Fanatic
Hey, just curious. If you were going to carry a S&W revolver for ccw, what would be your first choice?

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Mike is refering http://www.boomershooter.com/upload/images/76126923258357037723.jpg

to something like this... a Model 65, 3 inch, Heavy barreled 357.

3 inch SW's can be a little hard to find on the used market.. but I feel they offer the best balance of ballistics and shootability. I prefer the fixed sights on the 65 compared to the Model 19/66's... they are easier for me to pick up, less snag-able, and won't fall off or move if they shoot loose.

I can carry this revolver IWB about as easily as I do a full sized 1911... and it weighs a little less.

chas

Fanatic
I carried a 4" S&W model 15(K frame) for years. I liked it better than most 2" verisons, it seemed more stable carrying and wasn't any harder to conceal. I carried IWB at 3 Oclock.

Huckelberry75

Active Fanatic
I have a couple off the bodyguards, a 649 and 38-2. I love them both, but think that you wouldn't want to shoot many full house loads out of an airweight and that goes against the mantra of "practice, practice practice". I am becoming a fan of the 640 and 442's for their drop dead simple design and operation. Not hammer to snag, no openings to get lint, dust dirt into etc. Dead nut reliable. I am getting ready to put my 3" .45 in the safe and start carrying a 2.5" K frame for the same reasons. If it doesn't go bang, pull the trigger again. I bet I can pull the trigger again faster than anyone can "Tap Rack Bang". Heck, get a 686+ and you still have 7 rounds of .357. for 36 ozs (dry).

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
First choice? 3" k frame.

You mean like this? :D

CIMG0109.jpg

I threw some boot grips on her and it's crazy how much more comfortable AND concealable this is than my G-19, both in IWB holsters under an untucked shirt!

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
You mean like this? :D

CIMG0109.jpg

I threw some boot grips on her and it's crazy how much more comfortable AND concealable this is than my G-19, both in IWB holsters under an untucked shirt!

The revolver by nature is thinner than just about any semi-auto on the market, with exception to the width of the cylinder which is a very small area of width that has to be concealed. With that in mind, and the ability to adjust your grip size/thickness regardless of SB or RB(something you really can't do with a semi), it is easier for most folks to conceal a revolver than a semi-auto. This goes for OWB or IWB carry, and pocket carry.

kimberst245

Well-Known Fanatic
Smith and Wesson Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel (I think.) It's a tack driver out to about 15 yards and kicks like a mule with .357 fodder, but in the heat of the moment that won't matter.

Latest posts