Ruger MKIII front sight screw

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
What would recommend using to keep the front sight screw tight on my ruger mkIII? Ive been using green Loctite and it still comes loose after about 100rds. I didn't really want to put red loctite on it as that stuff can be a PIA to break loose once it sets up. I'm thinking about trying to find a allen head screw to use instead of the slot head so I can get more torque on the bolt. Any ideas of what else I should try?

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
What about BLUE locktite?

I know we use to use that stuff to keep jets in our oil field drill bits - so surely it can keep a front sight in huh?

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
according to their site green is stronger and withstands higher temps than the blue. I know on my truck I had to use the green on my header bolts cause the blue wouldnt keep them tight

green or blue should work fine; IF you degrease the screw and the hole before you apply it. Having the proper driver tip helps too.

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
Mike what do you recommend to use as a degreaser? I have a cheap set of gunsmith driver bits that Im using. I know they are not the greatest but its still better than a craftsman driver out of my toolbox.

A lil bit of brake cleaner on a q-tip for the hole. a lil bit on a towel for the screw.
Keep the compressed air handy so as to blow it out and dry it ; dont want that stuff sitting on plastic or metal very long.

Latest posts