Ruger MK IV Recall

dennishoddy

Yup, buy early models, do the Quality control that the factory's don't to do anymore, and you get a free mag.
It seems that is the order of the day anymore.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
That's right Dennis. It's like that with everything now. When I was still at Trane they would send out a new software upgrade for a unit or controller, only to recall it 2-3 months later after the field guys found all the bugs.

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
Seems that the recall "panic" has died down a bit. At least we don't read as much now, as was going on 6 months ago. Interesting how Ruger worded the recall notice. "Some" have found that the safety can hang up in the middle position, and then IF you pull the trigger and then release the safety, the pistol MAY fire". Seems to me that procedure goes way beyond anything that could be called safe handling.

I couldn't make that happen with most all of the Mark IV pistols that crossed my bench, and really had to work on getting that condition to prove itself. On some of the recalled Ruger Mark IV guns, the only visual, and it seems, cosmetic change, that I've seen is the added "S" on the safety plate that replaces the white dot. The notch that captures the sear, a stamped part, doesn't measure any appreciable amount in width or height to make any substantial difference. The only meaningful, and obvious change is the safety detent being plastic now, rather than the effectual 67 year use of the steel detent. So, I guess I don't consider any of the Ruger Mark IV's that I've come in contact with ( 12 so far ) to be an infliction on customers to work out any quality control bugs, other than a couple of questionable engineering choices that can easily be rectified. A "steel" safety detent is a 2-dollar part, and if it cures the alleged issue of the safety being half on, or half off. GREAT!