Ruger 10/22 feedback

shootist

Well-Known Fanatic
I've recently gotten my wife interested in shooting, and ready to buy her first .22 rimfire rifle. She has been shooting my 10/22 that I tricked out with with target, hammer/trigger, barrel, stock etc, but it is way too heavy for her. I was planning to buy her a 10/22 and making a few modifications (probably stock and target hammer/trigger) but a guy I met at OKCGC (hardcore rifle competition shooter) was really trashing the 10/22's. I have only had good luck with mine, but didn't know if they are really prone to feeding probems and I just got lucky with mine, or if the guy had an axe to grind. Anyone have any personal experience with 10/22's and/or any recommendations of other economical .22 rimfire rifles that I should consider for her. One of the things I like about the Ruger 10/22's is the large variety of aftermarket mods (triggers, stocks, etc) available for them. Thanks!

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Nothing beats the 10/22 on cost. I see a lot of guys shooting the AR15 lookalike M&P22. The other option would be to go with a Nordic Components dedicated .22LR upper and an AR15 lower.

LarryHill

Fanatic
I have had nothing but good luck with my 10/22... However i only shoot ammo that's packaged apart from each-other. Nothing just tossed in a box like bulk packs... Like Aquila reds or CCI mini mag. It's more expensive but feeds very well. And I second Jesse's idea; get the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22... I have one of those and love it. And on the plus side, when she's not using it, you can practice AR weapons manipulations on the cheap... :) I would rather buy 1000rds of 22lr than 1000rds of 223/5.56... ;) Aside from that, any 22 i own loves Aquila or cci mini mag. Even my wife's pink carbon Walther p22 has never had a failed to fire or failed to feed... And those guns are known for that. Just use good ammo and never look back.

stroker-c10

Well-Known Fanatic
I love my 10/22 and normally just run cheap bulk ammo through it with no problem. If you decide to put a .920 barrel on hers, check out the tactical solutions barrel. Fluted and aluminum, very light. I ordered mine through http://www.paulzintgunsmith.com/rifle_bbls.html and the service was great and the price was better than midway USA.

dennishoddy

My 10-22 runs well enough that I compete with it in some rimfire matches. I wouldn't run it in a match if it had problems.

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
Love my 10/22!!!!!

Here is an idea, I think you could get a hogue over molded stock, standard barrel and receiver, some red dot sight, and do some type lighter trigger upgrade.

Then she would be ready to shoot some steel challenge. I bet she would be hooked!!!!!

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been shooting 10-22s for years and years. I have never had trouble with the gun. If you run the cheap hi-cap "plastic" lip mags, they will wear out. If you go with a good steel lips. You are good to go. I sold my M&P 15-22 and bought the new Ruger SR22. I love it.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I've never had any feeding problems. Get a Kidd 16" aluminum barrel and you'll be happy. The one on my gun will put as many as you want at 50 yards in a ragged hole the size of a nickel. Probably better than that with match ammo.

usa1

Fanatic
I have one that had some issues with extraction, Fixed it by using a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor. works perfect. I love the 10/22.

Latest posts