Rock River 1911's

cosmo223

Fanatic
New member, but have owned and been shooting 1911's for years. Just wanted to post a thread about what I consider to be an often overlooked mfg. of 1911 - Rock River. I suspect part of the problem is that some people confuse Rock River Arms 1911's with Rock Island. But of course they are two different mfg.'s and offer guns at very different price points. Also, Rock River never produced a ton of 1911's and are primarily known for their AR's.

However, as someone who owns a couple of 1911's I have to say definitely worth taking a look at Rock River, particularly those made prior to 2010/11. I own one and just bought another off of Gunbroker. Honestly, I think they are the equal of Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc. Beautifully made, reliable, extremely accurate. Really almost a custom gun.

So curious, anyone else out there own a Rock River 1911 - particularly one made prior to 2009/10 when they stopped making them? (Although I think they did resume production in 2017/18 - although newer ones don't seem to be as nice.) If so, do you agree that they are underrated/obscure?

The good news is that, at least IMHO, they are a pretty good value on the used market (at least when you can find one).

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
while I do not own a rock river, I've shot a few and handles others. As you say a good semi-custom maker and I agree, especially about the older models. Difficult to find and definitely not the commonly discussed maker. Congratulations, post up pics. We love pics

Congratulations and welcome to the show

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
never heard of Rock River making 1911's..had heard of their line of AR's though.
A quick search to their website had a few ready for sale.. all started @ $2600, should be more than a semi custom @ that price, IMO
though I'd like to take a look @ one, in person. Will look when I visit a LGS..

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I've owned a few 2006ish RRA pistols. Think of them as a really nicely finished Les Baer

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
never heard of Rock River making 1911's..had heard of their line of AR's though.
A quick search to their website had a few ready for sale.. all started @ $2600, should be more than a semi custom @ that price, IMO
Doubt you will find any. The recently released RRA pistols are not up to the quality of their early work. They do make bullseye pistols still, but in very limited quantities

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
New member, but have owned and been shooting 1911's for years. Just wanted to post a thread about what I consider to be an often overlooked mfg. of 1911 - Rock River. I suspect part of the problem is that some people confuse Rock River Arms 1911's with Rock Island. But of course they are two different mfg.'s and offer guns at very different price points. Also, Rock River never produced a ton of 1911's and are primarily known for their AR's.

However, as someone who owns a couple of 1911's I have to say definitely worth taking a look at Rock River, particularly those made prior to 2010/11. I own one and just bought another off of Gunbroker. Honestly, I think they are the equal of Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc. Beautifully made, reliable, extremely accurate. Really almost a custom gun.

So curious, anyone else out there own a Rock River 1911 - particularly one made prior to 2009/10 when they stopped making them? (Although I think they did resume production in 2017/18 - although newer ones don't seem to be as nice.) If so, do you agree that they are underrated/obscure?

The good news is that, at least IMHO, they are a pretty good value on the used market (at least when you can find one).
Welcome. We're like family around here. There seems to be only a handful of us that post regularly. We like new members.

I have only seen 1 RRA 1911 and it was very well made. I asked the owner if he had any custom work done to it and he said it was all original. That's how well made it seemed to me. That was years ago.

cosmo223

Fanatic
I'm somewhat computer challenged, but will try to post a couple of pics of the RRA 1911 I have on hand. The one I just purchased hasn't shipped yet, so that may take a few days.

BTW - I also own a RRA AR15 upper that I bought years ago ... 16" heavy stainless barrel with I believe a 1/8 twist. Of the half dozen AR's I own probably my most accurate.

New RRA 1911's start at under $2000 and go up from there. Again, not sure they are the same quality as the older ones. But then a new Les Baer is going to start at about $2300 and I believe Wilson Combat 1911 starts at about $3000.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I wish I had a lgs that carried anything other than Kimber, they all act like they're high end! They all have every polymer pistol under the sun plus a few nice CZs, Berettas and such but do not carry much when it comes to quality 1911s

I never even see Dan Wesson's and I don't even buy those anymore. I drive three hours to a shop one time just to put hands on a Wilson the first time, it's not local in my book when you have to plan a day trip to go see a firearm.

Anyways I like nice high quality 1911s but have never held a Rock River but sounds like I would love one if their older cones.

OP welcome to great forum from nw Ohio and agree we need a few more "regular" posters to get this place Joplin'

Last edited:

cosmo223

Fanatic
I live in rural Colorado and the likelihood that I'm going to be able to walk into my LGS and handle a half dozen high end 1911's from custom or semi-custom companies is zero. Over the years I've bought a bunch of guns on-line (both new and used) based on pics, research and reviews of others etc., but sight unseen. It definitely requires a leap of faith, particularly if you're plunking down $2000+ on a gun, but I have to say I've had nearly 100% positive experiences ... at least so far.

Of course, it helps that when I'm buying a used gun I'm generally not super-anal about a few scratches, dings, etc. as long as the gun functions and is reliable. All of my guns get shot and are going to pick up a little scratch or small blemish anyway. And I tend to like some of the older guns/models. Have a 30 year old Ljutic shotgun that I bought used and is my primary trap gun. Have probably put about 7000+ rounds through it without any problems whatsoever. Recently bought a 20 year old Smith and Wesson 41 and once I figured out what ammo it liked, it's been a great shooter. And I'm really loving my RRA.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I wish I had a lgs that carried anything other than Kimber, they all act like their high end! They all have every polymer pistol under the sun plus a few nice CZs, Berettas and such but do not carry much when it comes to quality 1911s

I never even see Dan Wesson's and I don't even buy those anymore. I drive three hours to a shop one time just to put hands on a Wilson the first time, it's not local in my book when you have to plan a day trip to go see a firearm.

Anyways I like nice high quality 1911s but have never held a Rock River but sounds like I would love one if their older cones.

OP welcome to great forum from nw Ohio and agree we need a few more "regular" posters to get this place Joplin'
I refuse to by a 1911 from a company that uses PLASTIC mainspring housings. That's blasphemy in my opinion. The first thing you have to do if you buy one is replace that thing.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I live in rural Colorado and the likelihood that I'm going to be able to walk into my LGS and handle a half dozen high end 1911's from custom or semi-custom companies is zero. Over the years I've bought a bunch of guns on-line (both new and used) based on pics, research and reviews of others etc., but sight unseen. It definitely requires a leap of faith, particularly if you're plunking down $2000+ on a gun, but I have to say I've had nearly 100% positive experiences ... at least so far.

Of course, it helps that when I'm buying a used gun I'm generally not super-anal about a few scratches, dings, etc. as long as the gun functions and is reliable. All of my guns get shot and are going to pick up a little scratch or small blemish anyway. And I tend to like some of the older guns/models. Have a 30 year old Ljutic shotgun that I bought used and is my primary trap gun. Have probably put about 7000+ rounds through it without any problems whatsoever. Recently bought a 20 year old Smith and Wesson 41 and once I figured out what ammo it liked, it's been a great shooter. And I'm really loving my RRA.

I understand you completely, as I live in rural Montana. Difficult to walk into LGS and handle many, if any, high-end 1911s. Also don't feel bad about being computer challenged, no one is more challenged than me!! I was years learning to post pics and am still no good at it. If you want, I bet one o the guys here will assist.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I understand you completely, as I live in rural Montana. Difficult to walk into LGS and handle many, if any, high-end 1911s. Also don't feel bad about being computer challenged, no one is more challenged than me!! I was years learning to post pics and am still no good at it. If you want, I bet one o the guys here will assist.
If there is anything we can help you with, just ask. I believe I speak for everyone here when I say that. That's one of the differences in this forum from some of the others.

You won't get smartazz comments here for asking a question either.:)

Big Biscuit

Well-Known Fanatic
Just before all of this Covid mess got rolling good I went to the big gun show down in San Antonio.

I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. Imagine my amazement to find a brand new Rock River 1911 Government there on a sale table with an 800 price tag.

The seller allowed me to examine it.
Some sort of poly frame.
Really?

I've read and heard all good things about this brand but never actually found one.

I have to confess, the poly frame stopped me dead in my tracks. I was at a loss. I just placed it back on the table and walked on.

What I actually know about Rock River could be written on the head of a pin but it didn't seem right to me.

Last edited:

cosmo223

Fanatic
Polymer frame ones are new production and I suspect an entirely different animal. Just shot my original RRA 1911 today and it just is a fantastic pistol. Shooting indoors at 50', put 25 rounds on a 3" shoot and see target. Basically shot out the center of the target with about 4-5 flyers that were all me. The trigger is almost too light (and I like a light trigger). Of course the gun was 100% reliable.

My second RRA arrived about a week ago. Stainless bulls-eye model that came with a picatinny rail and a red dot. Gun is super accurate, but I think was set up by prior owner as a bullseye pistol designed to shoot very light loads. The slide cycles very slowly and occasionally does not pick up a round or go back fully into battery. Suspect gun has had very light springs installed. I have a couple of different Wolf springs on order that I think will solve the problem.

PanHandlerFL

Well-Known Fanatic
A line in the sand/cement/asphalt/gravel road I just will not cross...polymer 1911! Not bashing the science and pressures involved in polymer weapons (own a few)... it's wasn't designed, tested and battle proven in plastic, so like regular Coke vs anything...I will only own original recipes, not a plastic wannabe. (editors' note: I would not be adverse to picking one up off the ground and using it in a self-defense situation if it was loaded, I somehow lost mine and it would take to long to sharpen a pointy stick.)

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Agreed, no poly 1911s for me either. I have a few and in a few different calibers, all steel with the exception of the LW colt commander in super 38. That you've all seen pictures of many times by now. I've got 1 poly frame pistol, g19. And my bride has an early S&W M&P 9mm that she dearly loves. Shes owned that pistol 13 years IIRC and I can not recall even one failure, misfeed, poor extraction / ejection. Still oem springs and everything else also. Amazing

But, uh, no poly 1911 for me ( or her)

RSCamaro

Active Fanatic
I don't think that I would have an issue with a polymer 1911. Technology tends to allow products to be better, faster, lighter, accurate, more efficient, etc.

I own a partially polymer 1911, or not really a 1911 but a 2011 and it out shoots most pistols and this one was re-barreled by the previous owner.

How many out there are still doing 25-30K tune ups on your car because the fuel injection systems in today's cars are just new technology? Points, plugs, distributor cap, carb cleaner, fuel filter,oil change every 3,000 miles, bias ply tires, etc. Ya, I'll take new technology every day.

Today's 1911's are better than pre CAD made pistols. Tolerances are tighter, manufacturing processes are more efficient, overall a better product.

As Grandpa used to say, don't knock it before you try it.

...Ron

Latest posts