Rock Island double stack 1911 9mm Opinions

The Antichrome

Have you been following Seeklanders blog entries about them?
Seems like good stuff if you can convert them to use STI mags.
I'm anxious to try them out.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
I shot with Athena at TX multigun and looked at hers. Granted the one I'm looking at is bare bones model $600. May get one just for a range gun. Like I need another one of those

threegungeezer

Well-Known Fanatic
I have one of the .22TCM/9mm combos and I like it. I use Para mags in mine I got the mags from CDNN on clearance. They have extended base pads and hold 20 rounds. Mine has been flawless in both 9 mm and .tcm. I am not impressed with the accuracy of the 9mm but I do like the accuracy of it in .22TCM. I don't use it for competition for that I have a XDM 5.25 in 9mm that holds 23+1 and is more accurate. I am keeping it for the .22TCM which is a hoot to shoot, almost the same power of a 9mm with the recoil of a .22 LR. The gun is the typical RIA Quality which means if you get a good one your are good if you get a bad one you will have to work at it to get it to work.

1time

New Fanatic
cajunautoxer said:
So anyone here have one? Likes or dislikes
So did you buy 1 or not. I ordered 1 a few years ago. They told me it came in and when I got to the shop it was a 45. I bought a STI Edge. While I was waiting for the Rock Island I bought a mag release that allows the use of STI mags. I have no use for it so if you bought one and want to convert it, its yours.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Old thread revival. is this the Rock Island 2011 you were looking at, William?

pre_1414005275__rockisland2011.jpg

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
The one I was looking at was the non tactical version. Tomorrow my ffl is bringing me my tactical 2011 with 22/9 barrels. I couldn't pass up $653 otd!

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
There is a thread on Facebook about the pistola Burk pictured. To me it looks promising, but I'm a sucker for trying to make marginal stuff good as gold.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
So I went a put a couple hundred rounds today. Fed and shot fine with mag that it came with and some STI 9mm mags my buddy had. The STI didn't drop free and will have to be sanded down a little. I'll definitly need to find some small grips. I use the small back strap on my XDM and I can't hit the mag release on the RI.

This damn thing is HEAVY. And for someone who has AFB syndrome. (asian flat butt) I don't know how I'll keep my belt from falling down or off. But with the extra weight the recoil was nice. I can neither confirm or deny the purchase of a second one

usmc1094 said:
I've been looking at these. But no one near me seems to be able to get one.
Check gun broker my buddy says there are several on it. It's easier to find a dealer and have them order one

theKenny

Active Fanatic
I have the 22TCM/9mm Target model.(bomar sights)
Originally I bought a different model off of a different forum.
i sent it back to armscor because it had several issues.
4 weeks later they sent me the target model that had been worked over by one of the smiths
Test target shows one hole at 25 yards with armscor 124 ammo.
I might be able to do that but it's accurate enough for me
had a 3.5 lb trigger and was not that bad.

I put in a different trigger, cleaned up the internals, 17lb mainspring, 10lb recoil spring
Got it down to 2.5.
I also have the guncraft mag catch but it does not seem any better than the stock mag catch

I have some STI mags I modified (hacked up)and they work, including drop free.

The mec gar and new Para 18.9 mags are a different story. They will need some more work.
Nosedives galore, Lock back with one round, etc

Dawson extensionsfit the mec gar but not the new para.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
WTF How in the HELL do you take this thing apart. I'm going to have to use my googfu

jeffhughes said:
If you have enough mags to shoot a match, they'll cost as much as the gun....
Yea I asked a buddy how his STI mags run...... I may stick with my XDM until I graduate

Latest posts