RNT Bolt Release Issue

ASH556

Active Fanatic
Hey guys, I was working on my quad loads last night and discovered that as I really sped up and dug in, my fingertips were catching pretty badly on the end of my RNT bolt release tab on the first pass (with the 2nd set of shells held in my fingertips beside the receiver). It got to the point where the tab actually started to bend out because I was catching it so badly, not to mention it hurting my fingers.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with the RNT tab or the other oversized bolt releases? Is this a technique issue? I thought about cutting the tab back a little so it wasn't overhanging the button so bad and thus creating less of a potential snag point. Another option would be to install a TTI, Nordic, or other large button. Then again, the only time I'm going to use that button at speed is if I have to load from my Matchsaverz and I tend to load more conservatively than that. So, to that point I'm considering ditching the whole idea of an oversized bolt release.

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
ASH556 said:
Hey guys, I was working on my quad loads last night and discovered that as I really sped up and dug in, my fingertips were catching pretty badly on the end of my RNT bolt release tab on the first pass (with the 2nd set of shells held in my fingertips beside the receiver). It got to the point where the tab actually started to bend out because I was catching it so badly, not to mention it hurting my fingers.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with the RNT tab or the other oversized bolt releases? Is this a technique issue? I thought about cutting the tab back a little so it wasn't overhanging the button so bad and thus creating less of a potential snag point. Another option would be to install a TTI, Nordic, or other large button. Then again, the only time I'm going to use that button at speed is if I have to load from my Matchsaverz and I tend to load more conservatively than that. So, to that point I'm considering ditching the whole idea of an oversized bolt release.

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback!
Are you flipping the gun over and weak hand loading?

ASH556

Active Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Are you flipping the gun over and weak hand loading?
No, Right handed, loading strong side with buttstock over right shoulder. Loading port is somewhere between 12 and 3 in terms of overall shotgun rotation (I'm still holding the handguard, not the barrel).

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
ASH556 said:
No, Right handed, loading strong side with buttstock over right shoulder. Loading port is somewhere between 12 and 3 in terms of overall shotgun rotation (I'm still holding the handguard, not the barrel).
But they are only hitting while loading the first 2 shells?

pre_1445438980__shotgun_load.jpg

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
ASH556 said:
Yep, because on the 2nd two my hand is more open like what you're showing in your pic above.
I am also new[ish] to quad loading but I would think that during the first two load, your fingers would be cupped around the second row of shells in your hand?

Jesse?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Burk Cornelius said:
I am also new[ish] to quad loading but I would think that during the first two load, your fingers would be cupped around the second row of shells in your hand?

Jesse?
Sounds like when holding the shells his hand is relatively flat. So the second set of shells is bumping the side of the receiver and the bolt release. I typically roll my tigers backwards when inserting the first two shells thereby lifting the second set up away from the gun do it isn't contacting anything.

Installation position on the RNT might low too so it's close to the line on the receiver where the 45 angle hits the side. If the port is cut way down it could get in the way.

depending on how the forearm is cut away for fitting the RNT tab, if you even did this, the tab is probably sititting on the buttom too low. if you cut too much of a notch out of the forearm for the tab, it can poke downwards some.

you can also try and put a slight bend on the end of the tab to make it fit flusher.

ASH556

Active Fanatic
I think Jesse and Mike have it right...tab is too low. I installed it (and notched the forearm) before I cut the loading port. I'll try trimming it and see if it helps. If not, I'll just ditch the tab altogether.

cut the notch you made on the forearm a little bit higher, and use some big diameter shrink wrap to mae the base part of the tab a little thicker. you will probably have to tweakl the tab itself a little, as well as bend it inward more. the tab should be just barely touching the button without any pressure on it.

Latest posts