Rifle/shotgun have to be shouldered?

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
We had a discussion this weekend about if the rifle and shotgun have to be shouldered while firing a shot in 3gun competition? There was a row of back and forth hoser targets between barrels that it was faster to just hold the rifle out and pull the trigger instead of shouldering it.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
At our local (outlaw) matches it is not required to shoulder as long as you are safe.

There may be something in the USPSA or 3GN rules

posted via Tapatalk

ShaneP

Looks good to me
To me that leaves it up to the discretion of the RO. I'd rather have a slightly slower time than risk getting dq'd on a judgement call. If there is ever a question I'll ask the RO before the start if it's ok to do ... whatever you're thinking of doing.

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Shane P said:
To me that leaves it up to the discretion of the RO. I'd rather have a slightly slower time than risk getting dq'd on a judgement call. If there is ever a question I'll ask the RO before the start if it's ok to do ... whatever you're thinking of doing.
I was the RO! 😀

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Ha, well as long as it wasn't an unsafe manner. I'm not sure that there is a rule about that specifically. Maybe one of our rules guys will chime in.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Uspsa multigun may have a rule, not sure. I only say this because uspsa specifies rifles must be fired from the shoulder for pcc division.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
I did a quick google search and found the 2014 USPSA multigun rules (Says updated April 2015) Here's a link

Under section 10.4 for match DQ-accidental discharge. Does not specifically say must be fired from shoulder, but it could be used to imply that a shot not fired from the shoulder would be considered an AD.

10.4.6 A shot which occurs while transferring a firearm between hands or shoulders.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
That is different than intentionally "hip firing" during a COF. Just FYI, we changed the PCC rules to the statement below. So technically it doesn't have to be fired from the shoulder in any ruleset USPSA has..

Must have stock attached and be capable of being fired from
shoulder position.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I've done it multiple times and never been DQ'd for it. 3gun Nation and USPSA 3gun. As long as I didn't break the 180, and the shots were intentional (read: not AD) I was told I was OK.

I looked in USPSA Multigun, and 3gun Nation rules and couldn't find a rule against it. It's a lot like super close hoser targets with a pistol. Several times at USPSA pistol matches there have been targets so close that most didn't even look at the sights. So they were basically doing the same thing, point shooting.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
3GN has a rule requiring the gun to be shouldered when burning rounds prior to dumping a long gun if I'm not mistaken. Might be in the pro series rules only after Craig Outzen AD'd during a shotgun dump one time. He wasn't DQ'd because the round hit the dirt further away then the 10' minimum but it clearly wasn't an intentional trigger pull.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Jesse Tischauser said:
3GN has a rule requiring the gun to be shouldered when burning rounds prior to dumping a long gun if I'm not mistaken. Might be in the pro series rules only after Craig Outzen AD'd during a shotgun dump one time. He wasn't DQ'd because the round hit the dirt further away then the 10' minimum but it clearly wasn't an intentional trigger pull.
I saw the rule requiring it to be shouldered while burning a round, and the minimum distance. But that distance doesn't apply to intentional shots at a close target. And we are talking about intentional shots.

At one 3gun Nation match (regional) there were 4 close targets, between 5 ft and 10 ft depending on how close you got to them. They were low to the ground and angled at a 45, you had to shot into the ground to hit them. A few of us shot them on the move without having our rifles shouldered. They were intentional shots, and we did aim them by point shooting. RO at the time said it was OK, I did ask before I did it. I was told that as long as they were intentional shots, and I didn't break the 180, I was OK.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Tuflehundon (Rob Gee) said:
I saw the rule requiring it to be shouldered while burning a round, and the minimum distance. But that distance doesn't apply to intentional shots at a close target. And we are talking about intentional shots.

At one 3gun Nation match (regional) there were 4 close targets, between 5 ft and 10 ft depending on how close you got to them. They were low to the ground and angled at a 45, you had to shot into the ground to hit them. A few of us shot them on the move without having our rifles shouldered. They were intentional shots, and we did aim them by point shooting. RO at the time said it was OK, I did ask before I did it. I was told that as long as they were intentional shots, and I didn't break the 180, I was OK.
I'm 99% sure that if you hit or are at least trying to hit a target and are shooting from the unshouldered position you're good to go in 3GN. You could email [email protected] to get clarification. Since outlaw matches have minimal rules I'm 200% sure you can shoot with the rifle sticking out your ass if you want to.

Latest posts