Rifle reloading - compressing the powder with the bullet

Horty

Well-Known Fanatic
So I was loading some 223 last night with the following specs...
68 grain BTHP
25 grains of Varget
Trim length 1.750"
COL 2.260"

When I was seating the bullets I would hear a "crunch" and determined that it was caused by the bullet compacting the powder in the case. Is this bad? My load is within the specs of my Lyman reloading manual. Thanks

dennishoddy

Compressed loads aren't uncommon, but must be approached with caution. Back off a couple of grains, and work up to the load looking for signs of over pressure.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
There are a lot of published loads where the maximum indicates a compressed load. But I would be with Hoddy, work up to max loads.

oldglock

Well-Known Fanatic
Many, maybe most max loads with slow burning powders will be compressed.
This is especially true in magnum rifle calibers.
Some loads are so heavily compressed that a drop tube must be used to get it all in the case. Don't understand why but it works.
With heavily compressed loads be sure your bullet has not has not squeezed back out a little if stored for a length of time..
This situation produced a sad situation for a buddy of mine which is a little humorous.
Arriving at his stand and with shooting time coming on, he decides to chamber a round. 300 win mag as I recall and a big charge of maybe 7828 or 4831. Anyway, the bolt is really tight and funny feeling when he chambers the round so he decides to open the bolt and see what the deal is. When he does, the bullet is stuck in the lands and the action is full of powder so he is out of luck for the morning.
Since the bullets were seated right off the lands when loaded, obviously, they "grew"

Latest posts