Rifle or shotgni in a backpack ?

wylie

Well-Known Fanatic
Can you legally carry a pistol or rifle or shotgun in a backpack if you are backpacking in the woods, I have always wondered about that, if you're on a backpacking trip even if you have a curry permit for a pistol could you have something like a 1022 rifle in your backpack or a shotgun,,and what if you don't have a concealed weapons permit

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
The law used to be that you needed a valid hunting license to have a long gun with you in the woods...otherwise you were hunting without a license....or..you were hunting out of season.

But. the laws change so much that you better talk to someone at DNR...

Steve

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
Open carry of long guns without a permit is legal in SC. I can't find anything forbidding concealed carry of a rifle or shotgun either, unless you intend to commit a crime with one in which case it is illegal (SECTION 16-23-460. Carrying concealed weapons; forfeiture of weapons).

There may be some sort of hunting regulation that applies on state lands but I can't find anything in the state firearms laws about the subject.

I would suggest however that you not open carry a rifle on private property without express permission of the property owner. Some folks down in TX have been doing so and gotten a LOT of negative media attention that is helping the anti-gun people out.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
quote There may be some sort of hunting regulation that applies on state lands but I can't find anything in the state firearms laws about the subject. unquote

i think so called state land has restrictions on carry. i know state parks do. and some national forest allow hunting but i think national parks do not allow weapons.

thats a good question.

P-1

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe the 12 inch rule for conceal would appy here.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
armaborealis said:
Open carry of long guns without a permit is legal in SC. I can't find anything forbidding concealed carry of a rifle or shotgun either, unless you intend to commit a crime with one in which case it is illegal (SECTION 16-23-460. Carrying concealed weapons; forfeiture of weapons).

There may be some sort of hunting regulation that applies on state lands but I can't find anything in the state firearms laws about the subject.

I would suggest however that you not open carry a rifle on private property without express permission of the property owner. Some folks down in TX have been doing so and gotten a LOT of negative media attention that is helping the anti-gun people out.

It is getting a lot of attention in their state legislature, too. Representatives have been publicly promising to examine the law against open carry of handguns in TX and try and allow it in the future as a reaction to the guys carrying rifles and shotguns.

How is that helping anti-gun people?

Latest posts