Rifle Grip for 3 Gun.

Ben Rowland

Fanatic
Time and again, I see shooters on the professional and local level shooting rifle with their off hand fully extended and finger pointed out. Is this to create better target acquisition and quicker instinctive shots? It goes against everything I have been taught in military move and shoot courses training. I understand the gaming the course for 3 gun, but are the differences on grips make a difference?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Hold up a ten foot 2x4 and wave it from side-to-side and you will see why. Its all about leverage. The military is slow to catch up to things but they always do eventually.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
The military doesn't generally teach this type of stance due to all the stuff we keep on the rifles. 3gunners don't run lights, laser, etc on the gun. If they do they are generally much smaller instead of being super robust, and therefore larger. Not only that, holding the rifle the way 3gunners do for hours at a time would cause undue fatigue. 3gunners carry the rifle that way for a few minutes at a time, maybe a hour or so at a time if they are practicing. Military carries the rifle for hours on end, days on end. There is also the tunnel vision aspect of it. For some people, it blocks your vision to the weak side. Puts my shoulder so high I can't see anything to my left side when I tried it. In 3gun, no one is shooting back.

Is it better than the way the military teaches? That's up for debate. Rifle is one of my strongest suits in 3gun due to the ammount of shooting I did with it in the Marines. The guys that beat me on rifle do so because of practice and skill, not the way they hold it. If they had trained to hold it another way with the repitition they do with the 3gunner style, they would be just as good with it.

Try it the way they do it, and if you like it go with it. I prefer a modified version of it, were I use a vert grip as a hand stop. My ring and pinky finger will be on the grip, other 2 fingers on the bottom of the handguard, and my thumb will be in the side of the handguard instead of a finger. It's the way I was taught, and the way I am comfertable doing it. There are tons of ways to hold a rifle, each has it's benifits and down sides. Figure out when works for you, and stick with it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I hear where you're coming from. But honestly, if the grip didn't matter, you wouldn't see everyone doing it the same way.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Wall said:
I hear where you're coming from. But honestly, if the grip didn't matter, you wouldn't see everyone doing it the same way.
Most are doing it the same way, for now. Someone will come up with another way that is better and it will catch on. Just like weak hand loading used to be the only way to go for loading a shotgun. Until someone figured out how to load dueces and quads. Now dueces and quads are catching on and beginning to take over for a loading method for anyone not shooting open.

Are quads better than weak hand? Depends on what the person is comfortable doing. I load dueces, but shoot with guys that have been weak hand loading for years and load faster than me, because they have more practice doing it with that method.

45recoil

likes to party
Its a hold that gives more mobility to the shooter to swing rifle and stop on target smoother, at least in my experience. Recreating the motion of simply pointing yout finger at a target. For some people it is natural, others not so much. If you try it and it works...keep doin it...if it doesnt...dont do it. Simple as that. No military experience needed to figure that out. Personally, I have noticed more control in weight management over other methods...its changes the weights pivot point allowing me to transition smoother...for me. Having that chunk of metal we call a comp adds some weight at the end of that sucker.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Tuflehundon said:
Not only that, holding the rifle the way 3gunners do for hours at a time would cause undue fatigue. 3gunners carry the rifle that way for a few minutes at a time, maybe a hour or so at a time if they are practicing. Military carries the rifle for hours on end, days on end.
After so much practice, I don't know when the last time was that I was fatigued from mounting my rifle for an extended period. My rifle is heavy, and I'm not that strong. And who is carrying their rifle shouldered and aimed for hours and days? No one is doing that one activity for such elongated periods of time. Carrying a gun around isn't comparable to mounting it.

You better aks somebody.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
I'm not in the military but I haven't seen many military rifles with 15" handguards. So logically you wouldn't be able to put your support hand that far forward on what's most likely a 7" handguard

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
I prefer the off hand to be almost fully extended, I remember a while there was some popularity in the tactical community to extend the offhand so far you locked your elbow out, I tried that a couple times and found it to be completely useless as far as fast target transitions go. I use the same stance and grip as when I was shooting sporting clays a few years ago. body slightly angled towards the target, and off hand arm slightly bent.

Exactly like this random 3gunner I found by searching the net actually:

Tischauser%20Rifle%20Header.jpg

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Mitch Gibson said:
After so much practice, I don't know when the last time was that I was fatigued from mounting my rifle for an extended period. My rifle is heavy, and I'm not that strong. And who is carrying their rifle shouldered and aimed for hours and days? No one is doing that one activity for such elongated periods of time. Carrying a gun around isn't comparable to mounting it.

You better aks somebody.
It is true that carrying a gun around isn't the same as mounting it. But try mounting it like that after not sleeping for 3 days. You are already dead tired, so anything you do that causes undue fatigue, gets thrown out the window real fast. 3 days with no sleep doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Look at the invasion of Iraq.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
R.Pullicar.jr said:
I'm not in the military but I haven't seen many military rifles with 15" handguards. So logically you wouldn't be able to put your support hand that far forward on what's most likely a 7" handguard
Marines are still using M16A4's mostly with 12" handguards. Army is using the M4's more often than not. Even when they use the longer handguards, they have a lot of stuff up front, which is why they use vertical grips.

whats the point of this thread? "I do it cause its better for _______", "no I do it cause its better for _______"

and for the guy asking why one things done and not some other way; try it; take you 5 seconds and a mag or two to find the answer for your self. which is always better than reading a bunch of tards on a gun forum. Of which I guess Im now one.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
It would be nice if one of the greats, or at least a guy with a shitload of video views, epoxied a dildo on for a VFG. That way at least 10,000 armchair commandos would follow suit, and the internet would be a raging inferno of hilarity. All the arguments about which dildo provides the best grip. Everyone single sentence starting out "I'm not gay, but...."

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
whats the point of this thread? "I do it cause its better for _______", "no I do it cause its better for _______"

and for the guy asking why one things done and not some other way; try it; take you 5 seconds and a mag or two to find the answer for your self. which is always better than reading a bunch of tards on a gun forum. Of which I guess Im now one.
haha suckered into this thread

Mitch Gibson said:
It would be nice if one of the greats, or at least a guy with a shitload of video views, epoxied a dildo on for a VFG. That way at least 10,000 armchair commandos would follow suit, and the internet would be a raging inferno of hilarity. All the arguments about which dildo provides the best grip. Everyone single sentence starting out "I'm not gay, but...."
yeah, but then someone would be complaining, "thats not how we held a big 10 incher when I was in the Corp"

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Magpul QD dildo mounts will allow you to keep the dildo in your carry-on bags. It's called "tactical advantage".

Latest posts