RIA 2011 - Loving It!

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Picked up a RIA 2011 (51782) in 40 a few weeks ago only several hundred rounds down range so far, but I am very happy! This is my first 1911 platform gun so take that in consideration.

Many of the little tweaks everyone says the 2011's need have been done from the factory (beveled extractor, blended magazine well, polished trigger tracks, hammer strut, and firing pin stop). I'm into this for less than $800 right now. Worked up a load that feels really nice with WST, gotta get an outdoor range dried out to run the chrono.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Did you buy it new? Did you upgrade the sights, magwell, trigger or anything? At that price it's a way better option then a $600 G34/35 with $200-300 in add-one. Especially if the longevity is good.

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Yup, bought it new. It's technically the older model, 51738 replaced it at a street price of $865. Mine was $635 to my FFL, found it on GunBroker; there are a few out there but hard to find. (EDIT) Actually there are 3 on GB right now. Not much of any difference between the two models aside from the tac rail on the older.

From what I understand RIA makes their double stack pistols in batches with months between runs. For example, a run of 9mm DS, then 10mm DS, then 45 DS, then 40sw DS, and then back to 9mm.

Upgrades? Na, added grip tape to the front strap but nothing else on the gun, only the magazines. Dawson pads, Arrendondo springs & inserts. They hold 19 now but should relax the springs to fit 20, as is they are 19 reloadable. Greg Cote sells factory mags for $22ea, Pads, Springs, & Follwer are $45 per mag for a total of $67 for a 20 rounder. I did not "tune" the mags at all, they fed just fine but had random slide lock with rounds in the mag. I'll wind up following Brazos' tutorial to modify the slide stop.

I plan for this to be my main USPSA gun, found some private land for practice, and will be shooting at least one match per month. If my numbers hold, I'll be around 5k at the end of the year and will report back then.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
My cousin picked up one of these in 9mm and it ran like a top straight out of the box. He loves it.

He bought some mags from Greg Cote but they don't fit the magwell with the factory base plates. How hard was it to install Dawson pads?

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Dawson pads are stupid easily. Almost to the point I wonder if they will stay on!

The tool-less pads have a slide on the slide that you move forward to open for mag insertion. Use the base pad to catch & compress the spring, then lock in the front & 1 side of the mag bottom rails in the base pad then close the slide.

https://youtu.be/a811b2T5Arw?t=4m36s

Not my video but you get the idea.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Sweet, I'll let him know.
Do the factory base plates just slide off? I know some of the single stack mags RIA uses take some elbow grease and a drill bit to get off.

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm stoked that you like it! At that price point it will be awesome when it works out. Moving to 40 for USPSA is a smart move as well!

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
These are great guns.

Don't modify your slide lock lever. Cut the tab off the magazine follower that activates it.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Mitch Gibson said:
These are great guns.
Don't modify your slide lock lever. Cut the tab off the magazine follower that activates it.
I've never understood that mod.
I'd like to know if I've accidentally run out of ammo before I get on target and press the trigger.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I'd like to know if I've accidentally run out of ammo before I get on target and press the trigger.
I explained it in another thread.
It's not applicable to an M&P so you're not missing anything

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Matt Rigsby said:
Max capacity comes at a price.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Matt Rigsby said:
Guys like Wall with huge balls will run and win a 23 round stage with a 23rd mag because he's got one extra round of capacity by eliminating the slide lock tab in his mags and simply doesn't ever miss. If he was a ***** and wanted his slide to lock back he'd only have 22 rounds on his mags and he'd have to waste .34 seconds on a running reload thereby finishing 2nd or potentially 3rd on the stage behind two assholes named Pinto and Crotsley running PCC with 38 rounds on tap. It's really about being a winner it a loser. Wall is an effin' winner!

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Benny thanks for the response! Look forward to sending the gun in this winter!

Latest posts