Revolver Grips

ThemanJC

Active Fanatic
Hello revolver lovers. I found some older threads, but nothing that really seemed to answer my questions. Apologies if I overlooked something.

In any case, I have a few Smith & Wesson Revolvers - all modern, nothing collectible. I love the look with nice wooden grips. Mine all have stock rubber grips. I enjoy shooting them all. I have three J frames and two 686 - one 2.5" and one 4". And one Airweight I will leave as is - it is one of my concealed carry guns.

Who is a good supplier of great wooden grips?

If I make the switch, is there really any sacrifice to the feel of shooting the gun? Is the beauty worth the sacrifice?

Thanks all.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I am with you on this. I have a mod 10, looking at replacing the grips

dennishoddy

Several places for custom grips on the interwebs.

That should get you started.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Though I'm a 1911 fan, I also have a few revolvers..some S&W , a few Rugers, in both single & dbl. action..for variety.Most my revolvers have accessory grips. Most my S&W wheel guns came with wood grips, as oem. All were fitted with Pachmayer grips.. same with my Rugers. Have a box full of factory take-off grips. I've read the factory Smith grips are worth $ now. Good thing I saved them.

I have also bought nice wood grips for a few..though the wood grips are beautiful, their smooth finish allows them to move in my hand when shooting..not good for accuracy. They do look beautifulRuger  NM Blackhawk 357(L).JPGS&W 29 3 6in (L).JPGS&W 29 3 6in (L).JPG
the S&W 29 has S&W's "presentation grips" I bought off someone. Not the oem wood grips that came on the Mod.29

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Though I'm a 1911 fan, I also have a few revolvers..some S&W , a few Rugers, in both single & dbl. action..for variety.Most my revolvers have accessory grips. Most my S&W wheel guns came with wood grips, as oem. All were fitted with Pachmayer grips.. same with my Rugers. Have a box full of factory take-off grips. I've read the factory Smith grips are worth $ now. Good thing I saved them.

I have also bought nice wood grips for a few..though the wood grips are beautiful, their smooth finish allows them to move in my hand when shooting..not good for accuracy. They do look beautiful
Most of the early S&W revolver grips had the assembler's initials under the grips written in pencil and the date assembled. I have one .38 special manufactured in 1928 according to the date under the grip. To date nobody including the S&W forum folks and S&W themselves can identify the exact model. They say it was probably a field-testing model that was made?
None of the factory identification identifiers on the crane and the SN doesn't appear on their list of manufactured firearms. Interesting story behind it's recovery though.

Latest posts