Revo?

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm thinking about getting into revo just to try something different from Limited. I'm already set up for 45acp and 40 for reloading so a s&w 610 or 625 is the obvious choice.

But Holy freaking crap.....$1k for a 6 shot pistol? Plus goodies to get in the game. I spent less to get into limited with my g35.

What's the most economical way to get into Revo shooting 40 or 45?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't go with a 610 or 625. Get an 8 shot 627. If you are going to invest in the division that is where you want to go. The 6 shot guns are going to be DEAD with the new rule change coming up. It not a done deal but the 2 greatest USPSA shooters of all time are wanting it, so its gonna happen.

Now if you just want to go with a .40 pick up a cheap GP100 and have it converted. Likewise with an L frame, you can probably find a cylinder if you are patient and then you just need to rebarrel it or bore the one you get, but re-barrelling is about a wash on cost so why not get a match grade blank?

If you just want to dip your toe in to try it, I'm sure one of us would let you shoot ours. You're welcome to my 625 when I get my L frame up and running.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
The BEST way would be to find an 8 shot 627 with a 5" barrel. Buy some hearthco moonclips, starline .38 short colt brass and a north mountain moonclip holder. Note that the 627 is the premo setup for ICORE also.

Or you could go 6 shot for much less money with a 4" 686 and sell it later to someone that shoots SSR in IDPA. Have it cut for moons, lightly chamfer the cylinder and use the above mentioned brass, etc. If you like the game and want to compete with the big boys, 8 shot minor is what it's going to take.

Raford

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott Hearn said:
The BEST way would be to find an 8 shot 627 with a 5" barrel. Buy some hearthco moonclips, starline .38 short colt brass and a north mountain moonclip holder. Note that the 627 is the premo setup for ICORE also.

Or you could go 6 shot for much less money with a 4" 686 and sell it later to someone that shoots SSR in IDPA. Have it cut for moons, lightly chamfer the cylinder and use the above mentioned brass, etc. If you like the game and want to compete with the big boys, 8 shot minor is what it's going to take.
I second what Scott has said. If you haven't read the proposed rule change for Revolver, it basically reads: UPSPA will allow 8 shot revolvers within the division but they will be scored as minor only. It doesn't have anything to do with the power factor at all. It is a trade-off between potentially fewer reloads with the 8 round cylinders vs the 6 rounders shooting major loads. Stage planning will be made more simple and will follow along the lines of Single Stack with the exception of no "Barney Bullet".

The USPSA Board of Directors has essentially already approved this change in the division, but is currently holding a 90 day comment period where members can post on their rules forum whether they like it or not, and then the board will review the comments, guage opinion, and decide whether to let the changes take place or revisit the rule.

Bottom line, I believe the wind of change is blowing pretty strongly, and that in order to be competitive in 2014 and beyond in the revolver division, you will have to own an 8 shot revolver. Those two extra rounds will/can make all the difference in the world when shooting your average stage design and that advantage will far out weigh the small difference in scoring between Major and Minor. IF you shoot all "A"'s its a mute point all together.

The purpose of the change is to attract more Revolver shooters to USPSA from other shooting sports like IDPA and ICORE where the 8 shot revolvers are allowed. (Technically, they are already allowed in USPSA, you just can't shoot more than 6 rounds before reloading in USPSA or you get bumped to open division) Whether or not it will attract more shooters to the revolver division or not remains to be seen, but they will not have to buy a new gun to play in USPSA, all of us who have been shooting USPSA will have to buy a new guy to remain competitive. If you just want to have a little fun at your local match and shoot a six shot revolver that will be fine; but, if you want to compete in the division at a major match, I believe we'll have to get an 8 shot.

Just my $.02!

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
I would see if I could find someone to lend me a 625 for a few months. The 625 is the best platform for learning how to reload a revolver. Moonclips are inexpensive, but you will pay a little more for bullets. Some people just don't like the feel of an N frame revolver and it would be a shame to spend a couple of grand just to try it. However, the 625 and the 627 have a very different feel even though they are both N frames. The 627 has the advantage of minor power factor ammo, so you can experiment with wooden grips. The 625 at major power factor is much much more pleasant to shoot with rubber grips, particularly during WHO strings of fire. Ammo carriers are also very different. Scott mentioned the North Mountain. I have never used it, but some very good shooters prefer it. The Speed-E-Rack is also very good. The Austin holder has a lot of potential, but is not ideal for a 625. Again, it is all personal preference. I would suggest you try the North Mountain and the Speed-E-Rack. After A4 my 625 will spend a lot of time in the safe, so I may be able to help.

Latest posts