rescue dog show :)

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
so glad they finally got around to acknowledging those easily forgotten.

WE only rescue dog and cats. they deserve what we have to offer=love and a good home:

My wife started working in an animal shelter 6 years ago. We have adopted two dogs since.

We also foster dogs not ready for adoption. It is quite rewarding to be able to teach these guys things that will help them get adopted quickly .

We used to own nothing but pure breeds. They are good dogs too.

Never thought I'd go for a poodle mix. But he is the funniest dog I've ever owned. The other is the most loving , obedient , and has learned more tricks than all my other dogs combined.

Dont get me wrong, my pure breeds had characteristics that I loved as well. But these two filled the loss of others in a way I never expected.

1FC2A7E3-8796-40EA-BC19-9CB2CE061958.jpeg

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Rescues the only way to go for me kitty also.
All get along great with boss kitty.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I'm watching my sister's german shepherd - I'm sure I'll love him, as he's always great. I'm just dreading the day my future wife will want one.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Surprise her before that day and you will feel great for saving a life. Get on the list to adopt a retired military K9, free you will get one if you pass might be 2 years but will happen and you will get a 4-5 figure animal trained by the best.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife started working in an animal shelter 6 years ago. We have adopted two dogs since.

We also foster dogs not ready for adoption. It is quite rewarding to be able to teach these guys things that will help them get adopted quickly .

We used to own nothing but pure breeds. They are good dogs too.

Never thought I'd go for a poodle mix. But he is the funniest dog I've ever owned. The other is the most loving , obedient , and has learned more tricks than all my other dogs combined.

Dont get me wrong, my pure breeds had characteristics that I loved as well. But these two filled the loss of others in a way I never expected.

View attachment 6063
you and your wife are special people. I love animals ( 39 cats and 3 pit bulls in 35 years of adopting and loving) BUT I attach to them as quickly as they do to us. I am like Ralph Kramden going to a shelter..I want to take them all home.

it is such a heartache to see so many stuck in cages, needing love and a good home. I encourage folks to adopt.Petfinders.com has every breed ,age, size of dog or cat you could ever want. many are pure bred so there is not need to buy a pet.

keep up the great work and bless you

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Surprise her before that day and you will feel great for saving a life. Get on the list to adopt a retired military K9, free you will get one if you pass might be 2 years but will happen and you will get a 4-5 figure animal trained by the best.
very cool

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm watching my sister's german shepherd - I'm sure I'll love him, as he's always great. I'm just dreading the day my future wife will want one.
you big softy. you know it wil be a great day ...and you will just melt the day the dog puts his head on your lap ;)

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
you big softy. you know it wil be a great day ...and you will just melt the day the dog puts his head on your lap ;)
I know, I love animals but like not having that responsibility - I just grew up taking care of everyone else's animals. They'd ask me if I wanted a horse or a computer. I picked the computer, as I had everyone else's horses, dogs, chicken, and ducks to take care of.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
very cool
Thank you boatdoc. When we first started fostering, it was very hard to let them go back to the shelter. The first one we did had a crushed hip socket and had a traumatic surgery. We got her in hopes to rehab her and we fell in love . Unfortunately , she was the only dog I've ever been allergic to. My whole family was allergic to her. I thought maybe she was in a hay barn before we got her . The vet at the shelter said we needed to return her. Said that allergy things rarely get better and we needed to bring her back immediately. Waiting would only make it harder.

We did bring her back, but we had managed to house train her and teach her her name and walk ( hobble ) on a leash.

She was adopted within two days by a woman who had access to an underwater treadmill. The dog now has full use of the leg and runs like a rocket . That's pretty amazing for having the ball of her hip joint removed .

That experience alone was worth it.

One of my most fun fosters was two 6 week old Border collie pups . They were hilarious. They house trained in two days. By a week they would come to me by command . At only 6 weeks the herding instinct was already there . They would team up and herd my other dogs into the corner of the yard. They'd get low in the grass . You could see them visually communicating . It was really hard to give them up . But they needed a lot of exercise. Long term I'm not sure I could keep up. Those two were not adopted immediately. Mostly because my wife is in charge of approving adoptions. These two were smarter than the average dog owner, and needed a family to share in keeping them active. Eventually two families were found. We see them on Facebook and it is so rewarding to see how well it worked out.

The two I currently own were what I call foster failures . At the time , we had two shelties that were extremely smart. They trained the adopted dogs how to be shelties . Since then, the shelties have passed to the rainbow bridge . But my remaining mutts both think they are shelties so the legends live on.

We are getting better at bringing them back after fostering . But it still tugs at the heart strings.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Had 1 shepherd with a rear leg blown off from roadside bomb she was great also lost tail from it, knew 1 that just could not be trusted and was returned, 1 that was extreme handler protective off the scale also the best baby sitter so much did not want to give up kids the best ever for kids as nothing I promise was going to get them maybe not even parents without me present!
They have older retired dogs, injured dogs, drug, bomb, & guard, a lengthly process but worth it and will happen just timely. You get a point for prior military, police etc. all get you a bump up.. Under 3 yrs and free to get on list, you may get a personal inspection and interview and home visit probably, fencing check need 5+' preferred and decent yard, credit check & background check also contact your vet as to your visits...

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you boatdoc. When we first started fostering, it was very hard to let them go back to the shelter. The first one we did had a crushed hip socket and had a traumatic surgery. We got her in hopes to rehab her and we fell in love . Unfortunately , she was the only dog I've ever been allergic to. My whole family was allergic to her. I thought maybe she was in a hay barn before we got her . The vet at the shelter said we needed to return her. Said that allergy things rarely get better and we needed to bring her back immediately. Waiting would only make it harder.

We did bring her back, but we had managed to house train her and teach her her name and walk ( hobble ) on a leash.

She was adopted within two days by a woman who had access to an underwater treadmill. The dog now has full use of the leg and runs like a rocket . That's pretty amazing for having the ball of her hip joint removed .

That experience alone was worth it.

One of my most fun fosters was two 6 week old Border collie pups . They were hilarious. They house trained in two days. By a week they would come to me by command . At only 6 weeks the herding instinct was already there . They would team up and herd my other dogs into the corner of the yard. They'd get low in the grass . You could see them visually communicating . It was really hard to give them up . But they needed a lot of exercise. Long term I'm not sure I could keep up. Those two were not adopted immediately. Mostly because my wife is in charge of approving adoptions. These two were smarter than the average dog owner, and needed a family to share in keeping them active. Eventually two families were found. We see them on Facebook and it is so rewarding to see how well it worked out.

The two I currently own were what I call foster failures . At the time , we had two shelties that were extremely smart. They trained the adopted dogs how to be shelties . Since then, the shelties have passed to the rainbow bridge . But my remaining mutts both think they are shelties so the legends live on.

We are getting better at bringing them back after fostering . But it still tugs at the heart strings.

I could not do it. kudos on having what it takes to do it right.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Had 1 shepherd with a rear leg blown off from roadside bomb she was great also lost tail from it, knew 1 that just could not be trusted and was returned, 1 that was extreme handler protective off the scale also the best baby sitter so much did not want to give up kids the best ever for kids as nothing I promise was going to get them maybe not even parents without me present!
They have older retired dogs, injured dogs, drug, bomb, & guard, a lengthly process but worth it and will happen just timely. You get a point for prior military, police etc. all get you a bump up.. Under 3 yrs and free to get on list, you may get a personal inspection and interview and home visit probably, fencing check need 5+' preferred and decent yard, credit check & background check also contact your vet as to your visits...

worth while cause for someone with the time and love to make it work

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
This German shepherd is giant. However He's finally asleep with me on the ground with him.
image.jpg

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
And what you will get in return is off the expected scale in a trained dog. Many trained in several languages & hand signals also, just usually a long wait.