Reply from Senator Rob Portman....

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
He's kind of a squishy establishment Rhino.....

Thank you for contacting me about the preservation of our Second Amendment rights.
As a gun owner, I firmly believe in the right to bear arms for defense of self, family and property – and remain committed to protecting the rights of law-abiding gun owners.
I have joined a number of colleagues in the Senate in co-sponsoring the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. (S. 446).This legislation allows individuals with concealed carry privileges in their home state to exercise those rights in other states with concealed carry laws.
Additionally, I do not support recent proposals to ban semi-automatic firearms, which I believe amounts to an unconstitutional infringement on the right to bear arms.
I have also worked in Congress to implement commonsense, bipartisan legislation that can make a difference right away to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals. Therefore, I co-sponsored legislation authored by Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) entitled the Fix NICS Act. (S.2135), which has been signed into law by President Trump.
Information such as felony convictions, domestic violence, involuntary mental health commitment and dishonorable discharge from the military all currently qualify as criteria to prohibit an individual from purchasing a firearm. Unfortunately, as we have seen in many past tragedies, the perpetrators were able to legally buy a gun due to a failure of this information properly being submitted to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
The purpose of Fix NICS is to push state, local, and government entities to follow existing federal law and step up their reporting of this information to the FBI that would disqualify individuals from passing a background check.
This legislation does not restrict gun rights. It does not add any additional classes of people that will be prohibited from owning or purchasing firearms, does not establish a federal gun registry, and additionally, does not change any laws related to the types of firearms that can be purchased.
Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. As a lifelong hunter and gun owner,I will continue to work to protect our Constitutional freedoms, and will be a strong advocate for preserving these rights and traditions for future generations.
For more information, I encourage you to visit my website atwww.portman.senate.gov. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Lot of what we want to hear there. Just unsure as to his stick-to-it-ivness.

Latest posts