Removing Crimp on 5.56/.223 brass

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
What do y'all use to remove the crimp?

I'm using the RCBS case prep center now, but it's a sucky slow process.

I've looked at the RCBS swage die combo (~$33) and the Dillon super swage ($100). Any other options? Or advice on those?

Spiff

Semi-Pro
If you're planning on doing a bunch the dillon is definitely worth it. I can swage ~500 / hr while watching tv with it. Otherwise, I've used the little torpedo shaped rcbs case chamferer/deburrer.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I've got the RCBS swage die setup that belonged to my Dad and it is NOT the way I'd go... It's a slow and awkward process. I have a Dillon super swage that needs a couple of parts, and as Spiff said, that method looks like the way to go.

dennishoddy

I use the Lock-N-Load Case Prep Trio by Hornady it actually cuts the military crimp with a reamer, at the same time cleaning the primer pocket. The other tools(three running at the same time) will deburr the inside and outside of the case mouth. Pretty handy tool. I can trim a gallon of .223 brass, then run them across the case prep tool pretty quick.
I have the RCBS swedger. It works good, but is too slow for volume loading.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got the RCBS swage die setup that belonged to my Dad and it is NOT the way I'd go... It's a slow and awkward process. I have a Dillon super swage that needs a couple of parts, and as Spiff said, that method looks like the way to go.
I agree with these guys RCBS swager die does not work well for me
Last week I had 20 .223 federal cases that did not want a primer I ran them through the swager trying to hand prime after each time I did this minimum 3 times lot more for some, finially I grabbed a #2 Phillips bit chucked in the drill put a light chamfer on each case then they all worked might be a little redneck but it worked has any one else tried this.
I typically hand prime all .223 any that don't prime easily I toss into a swage when i run outa of brass bag.

RyanReed

Semi-Pro
I have found the easiest way by far to remove the crimp.

Take all your brass and put in in a USPS flat rate box.
Sent it to Top Brass for a brass credit.
Order processed brass from them that has been trimmed and had the primer crimp removed.

Seriously, I did 500 pieces through a Dillon super suage plus trimming and swear I will never do that **** again. Pre Processed brass only for me.

Boxerglocker

Active Fanatic
Check out YouTube about how to rig the Dillon swager with string and a rubber band.

The rubber band works ok only for a short period of time until it streches out. I improved on the design using a screen door spring and 1/8 inch cable with swagged ends rather than string.

This video was taken just to illustrate how it works, it was awkward to take the shots so excuse that.

CBR

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a bench top drill press set up in the shop with a wide angle chamferring bit in the chuck. One quick stab and the crimp is gone.

Pigfish73

Well-Known Fanatic
I have found the easiest way by far to remove the crimp.

Take all your brass and put in in a USPS flat rate box.
Sent it to Top Brass for a brass credit.
Order processed brass from them that has been trimmed and had the primer crimp removed.

Seriously, I did 500 pieces through a Dillon super suage plus trimming and swear I will never do that **** again. Pre Processed brass only for me.

I totally agree with Ryan on this one. Ryan and I go through several K a year of 223 brass. Unless you load on a Dillon 1050 (primer swager built into the floorplate) it is WAY easier to trade it in to Topbrass or send it to a processor. I use Custom Brass Processing in Abilene,TX. $35/1k. You send him your brass and it comes back polished, sized, trimmed, deprimed, and swaged. Ready to load! It is possible to fit 3k pieces in a large flat rate box (barely).

Boxerglocker

Active Fanatic
I totally agree with Ryan on this one. Ryan and I go through several K a year of 223 brass. Unless you load on a Dillon 1050 (primer swager built into the floorplate) it is WAY easier to trade it in to Topbrass or send it to a processor. I use Custom Brass Processing in Abilene,TX. $35/1k. You send him your brass and it comes back polished, sized, trimmed, deprimed, and swaged. Ready to load! It is possible to fit 3k pieces in a large flat rate box (barely).

So the reality is you total cost is about $45 a K to process your supplied brass when you include your shipping. That would translate to over $450 a year for me on average. Though, I do admit it does take work to prep brass. I have it down to a pretty streamlined process to clean size and trim. XL650 with a RT1200. Swaging takes me about 40 minutes to do 500. I'm slowing squireling away the savings and at the end on next season will have the funds to get a Dillon Super 105 dedicated to .223

Pigfish73

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, it costs roughly $45/1k with shipping since I ship 3k pieces at a time. Much cheaper than buying from Topbrass for $165/1k.
Your 650 with trimmer is a great set up. Especially if you buy a 1050 to load on. Even of I had the money to set up those 2 loaders I would probably still have someone else do it because of time constraints.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I have a bench top drill press set up in the shop with a wide angle chamferring bit in the chuck. One quick stab and the crimp is gone.

I'm doing this too, but I'm using the L.E. Wilson chamfering and deburring tool in the Possum Hollow adapter.

Latest posts