Remington 1911 R1 .45 Government

okiestranger

Well-Known Fanatic
I got to fondle one of these today felt good in my hand. Price was about $626.

Anyone have any time with one? Or any comments?

Thanks....

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I've only played with one at Academy, but was impressed by the quality I perceived.

Deacon

Well-Known Fanatic
I watched a review video from the guys at Gunsite and they speak highly of it.
Took it out of the box and did a 500 round class with it with no malfunctions.

RK{ARMS}

Active Fanatic
All the reviews seem to be very good. I have yet to read anything bad. I think they would make a good addition to the stable.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

Dont know, I have a customer bringing me one this week, never seen the inside I will report back on the finding on this post.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

looked at that remington, sorry its been a while as I am swamped.

the feed ramp angle is wrong, the lug area on the barrel needs to be corrected as the gun will not always return to battery.

No vis cut on the frame, and some other minor issues, but overall about the same qaulity as a springfield.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
You mean the feed ramp angle is not to original spec, or the feed ramp angle isn't where you like it for JHPs and wadcutters? It's understandable if it's just cut to JMB spec.

I don't have much experience with production 1911s so I don't know how common these errors are, but to me that sounds unacceptable. This is the kind of thing I'd expect from RIA.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

JMB spec is 31.5 and this one is 51, or I should say was 51 degrees. :wink:

Oh yeah, series 80 firing pin block as well.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

OK Thought I had a pic but I don't, so here goes.

The vertical impact surface is where the barrel comes to rest on the frame, the barrel bed is the horizontal seat and VIS is the vertical stop. There needs to be a recess cut in the VIS so that the lower part of barrel lower locking lugs don't strike the frame, some call it a bow tie, because the cut looks like a bow tie.

Without this recess cut, which it's minor about .005 to .008 deep, the barrel will brake at the lower lugs or shear them off.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Frequently factory guns can have an uneven VIS in the frame. When the barrel stops on it the lower portion of the lugs can hit first which isn't optimal (think of the feet as a lever). Guys run a cutter down into the frame to move the impact point up higher.

Do a GIS for 1911 bow tie cut or similar.

Anthony beat me,

Don't worry Mitch, your Edge has a W/N ramp cut.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

The big offender is Springfield, no vis cut at all.

its interesting that if you blow the lugs out of a Springfield and send it in for warranty repair, the gun comes back with this cut made in the frame. :preved: :preved: :preved:

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

I am going to be touching up the VIS in the raffle gun tomorrow, I will take pictures to explain this process a little better. I also relieve the back of the barrel feet to accommodate equalization in the barrel seat area, I only do this on Kart barrels or my Durning Defense barrels.

When I install stainless barrels (KKM) I don't.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
anthony I just want to say that your spergetastic 1911 posts are the highlight of my boomershooter experience outside of the semi-pro thread

Latest posts