reloading supplies

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
first off, I would like to ask Blackbeard to add a reloading section if possible

now for the goodies

ldb supply of ohio has these advertised:

the new normal pricing is going to be 12 cents pe r primer from what I can gather fromsome ads sent to me. so this is not horrible( compared to others ,esp GB)

and hodgdon powders offers direct shipment and has some pistol powders in stock for the new normal price( $177 for 8 pounds..was 168 dollars in 2020..)

happy loading folks

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I was able to get 2000 large pistol primers yesterday locally for $60.00 per 1000 . They also had plenty of ammo , but it was pricey . 9mm was $24.00 per box of 50 , Winchester White box , Fiochi , Federal , all in stock and they were expecting another truck load . The range -gun store I shoot at is still getting $48.00 for 9mm . But , he told me he's got tons of ammo he paid too much for . He's got cases of ammo stacked everywhere . Prices and availability may start getting better . But , manufacturers have seen what we'll pay . According to Winchester the gouging was done at some distributors and store levels . The price difference I saw yesterday between two different stores for the exact same product bears this out .

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
A few weeks back, I scored 1k small pistol primers for $44 from Cabelas. All I've bought for a long time. I swore an oath to my wife, we would never again be caught flat-footed. This was in the klinton years. I hope to never need to assist the gougers again , but of course never say never. Unless this continues for the foreseeable future, I'm good. But will replenish when I see a deal

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Reloading is something I have yet to do. I was looking at getting into it before the ammo and component shortage. I don't know where to start. Can you guys give me some suggestions?

I'm looking at reloading 5.56X45, 9X19 and 45 ACP.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
1 buy and read a couple of reloading books..like lymans or sierra

2.research and decide on what kind of reloader to get.
I went with a dillon 550c. It is simple to set up and use. very few problems have presented so far. it is pretty durable --.and they offer a lifetime warranty

3.you will also need--dies, caliber change kits (both caliber specific), an electric scale, a digital caliper, I like hornady one shot lube for my cases, powder for the firearm(handgun,vs rifle) you are loading( see those manuals and sometimes a bullet company offers loads specific for your bullet weight and shape), primers, bullets, brass casings.also a spare parts kit including e -clips for the depriming die, extra primer pick up tips, extra primer magazine tips, an extra primer stop pin),

4a vibrating tumbler( easier to start with) media to tumble in, nufinish car wax works great to shine those cases.and a seperator to sort the brass fromthe media. storage cases for the brass, bullets, loaded ammo. Bullet pullers,like Berrys and shell holders inthe calibers you use help a lot. a hand primer is also a big help when a primer doe s not seat properly

5 sturdy table to work on. good lighting too

remember, you tube and dillon ( as well as other reloader makers) offer great videos

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
To get started.. Get a loading manual, read the intro section.. then re-read it.. a few times.
Lets you get familiar with terms & steps of the process.

Lyman & Hornady manuals cover all you really need to know to get started. Get either or both.
Lyman even makes a separate manual for shooting / loading Cast bullets
May even find them in your local library.

My belief & experience is it's easier to start hand loading with straight walled pistol cartridges (i.e. most pistol calibers)
than with bottle neck rifle calibers.

Reason ? Simple. Less need for brass prep.
No need (almost always) to measure & trim cases..
Use casbide resizing die = no need to lube cases, & have to clean off lube, after resizing the cases.
In 40+ yrs.of hand loading, never trimmed a pistol case on a straight walled cartridge.,
thought I may have measured some, just to check.

Not to say case prep is non-existent on pistol cases, inspection is very important..
as is some form of cleaning, (even if only a wipe-off)

Getting resizing dies adjusted is a bit easier as well, as straight wall cases have no case shoulder ,
you can avoid having shoulder setback issues.

Another few thoughts &, expressions of my opinions for consideration. :

Start with a single stage (or turret press) rather than progressive..
Reasons, ?

1) single stage permits you to focus attention more on each step of the process, reinforcing knowledge & gaining experience on doing each step properly.
2) while a single stage is slower in making rounds, the slower speed helps prevent making errors, and/ or allows greater time to check, & catch that an error was made, so it can be corrected.
3) Single stage press is less expensive, helps lower initial cost of getting started.
4 You )can always find a use for single stage press, if you later decide to move to a turret or progressive press

I will agree that Lee dies are a great choice. Having tried & used most other brands of dies, I have switched to Lee dies for most my loading.
Reason ? : Their collet-held 1 piece stem/decapping pin is unbreakable, & near impossible to bend or damage.

Additionally, rounds loaded with Lee dies are as accurate as any other brand,.. IMO

Good luck in getting started..

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
powder valley,midway, natchez among others have some components. you have to check daily to get just what you want.

also brain enos forum has a nice reloading section with plenty of goodies

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Reloading is something I have yet to do. I was looking at getting into it before the ammo and component shortage. I don't know where to start. Can you guys give me some suggestions?

I'm looking at reloading 5.56X45, 9X19 and 45 ACP.
I would buy all the ammo you have named above Bulk, because they can be found in bulk. Not cheaper to load any longer.
The new reloader would be best to focus on loading rounds like 5.56X45, 7.62x51, 300 Win Mag etc for bolt guns. 4 Accuracy
at long ranges.

I find used Reloading equipment at Pawn shops, Gun Shows, & Gun club swap meets for good prices.
Got my Grandson a 1960s RCBS loading set from an Old guy for $75.00. Rock Chucker, Scale, 5 sets of Pistol dies
all kinds of little special tools for pennies. Be careful to find quality equipment at first no one can just buy & try
& replace with better tools today. You must stay focused on what old guys like me & others here have learned over
many decades. We all learned on the job & found the best tools by trial & error $$. ;)

Most shooting clubs are open to the public on Swap meet days & while many well stocked Loaders will want more for
their $8.00 a pound powder or $12.00 a 1000 Federal 210 M primers. Some will double the price & some will gouge you
never know until you start hunting for what you want.

Why not ask @Blackbeard to start a Reloading Sticky where we can Buy/Sell equipment & components.
I would damn sure rather share with the fine folks on this last of it's kind forum than arm a Snowflake. :eek:

Yes I would trade my Rock Chucker for a Bonanza Co-Ax loading press & every die Bonanza Forrester Die ever made.
However my 2 Rock Chukers are still too damn good too trade o_O You just live and learn.

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
first off, I would like to ask Blackbeard to add a reloading section if possible

now for the goodies

ldb supply of ohio has these advertised:

the new normal pricing is going to be 12 cents pe r primer from what I can gather fromsome ads sent to me. so this is not horrible( compared to others ,esp GB)

and hodgdon powders offers direct shipment and has some pistol powders in stock for the new normal price( $177 for 8 pounds..was 168 dollars in 2020..)

happy loading folks
I'd like to Second the reloading section suggestion. I've only been reloading for the past 6 years? and I always learn from these forums so it's a good idea.

I'm in the Sahara as far as reloading supplies go, even before the fake pandemic.

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
Bunch of good advice already given. Can't stress enough to read those books. I'm really glad I started before the ignernet

also a firm believer in starting single stage. If upgrading to progressive, the single stage press will more than likely get used. I still load lower running calibers on my original press from 32 yrs ago.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I was using the Lee single stage press I bought on sale @ Midway (maybe 40yrs ago) for $9.99 up until last year..
Switched it out, not because it broke ,or didn't work.. but because I found a used Rockchucker on CL for a good price about 5 or 10yrs ago.
The Rockchucker sat in the box I brought it home in for all that time, just because my Lee press worked well.
I used that Lee press, despite having a Dillon 450 (progressive press) for ALL my rifle loads.
I loaded 223, 220 Swift, 30-30, 32-20, 308, 7.62 X 39, & 30-06 all on that Lee press.