Reloading start-up?

tzimm007

Fanatic
If there is a topic already dedicated to this someone could direct me.? Looking for some recommendations for a good start up progressive loader and accessories or a kit of some kind. I would be loading mainly small rifle (.223 and .243) and pistol from 9mm to .45 colt. Are there any classes available? Any info is greatly appreciated.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?p11113

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
The below link has a lot of information if you look around on the page. It has videos linked to the page as well.
http://www.rcbs.com/...ult.aspx#basics

Most if not all reloading manuals talk you through reloading.

Youtube has a lot of videos some better than others.

If you are unsure you are going to take up reloading I would sugget a Lee turrent kit. Start learning using it as a single stage press then when you have that figured out and you want you can try using it as a progressive. This way you learn each step and what it does as well as give you insight into a progressive press. Then if you don't get into it your not out of a lot of money.

If you do decide reloading is for you and you want to upgrade you can and will have a better understanding of what you want to purchase.

If you have specfic questions ask.

AFA classes check with the NRA nad see if they have an instructor in your area or go by the gunshops and ranges. Maybe someone here will know of one that teaches in the area. It is always better to have someone teach you but if you make sure your data is correct, and your charge wt and bullet is correct with correct powder as well as the OAL it truely isn't harder than that.

Best getting started.

Items that will be needed:
Press
Dies
Calipers
shell holder or conversion kit depending on the press for each caliber w/ tool head
trimmer
Chaffering tool
scale
powder measurer
at least one good reloading manual for reference
A loading block or a shell insert from an ammo box (can be made with wood and drill)
A means to clean your brass. Clean doesn't mean shine. Shiney brass is purty and clean., just don't have to be that extreme.
Would be good to have a primer pocket cleaner but a small screw driver can be used.
Powder
Primers
bullets
A means to prime if not using hte press to prime
Case gauge for each caliber
case lube
An area where you will be left alone and not bothered

Folks jump in here if I left anything out.

dennishoddy

Looks pretty complete.
We have some folks on here that load thousands of rounds a month, so like was said above, ask questions. You will find that this group will walk you through just about any problem you will encounter. It may be personal experience, or it may be a link to a specific subject.
Enjoy your new hobby!

tzimm007

Fanatic
Thanks for the info guys. I'll make some calls to the the local ranges and see if I can find a class.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3svirk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
H&H range puts on reloading classes, I think.

I'll tell you up front. Get a Dillon 550 at a minimum and a 650 if you can afford it. You will be far happier and will spend less money in the long run. Trust me, I've been there, done it and got the t-shirt. Shootingbuff's list is pretty good as far as the other stuff you will need. If you are loading low volume the advice of starting on a single stage is solid. A RCBS Rockchucker supreme kit would get a large chunk of what you need in one swoop and that press will last through your grand children's lives. But if you are loading in the 1000's a progressive is pretty mandatory and not that hard to learn at all.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott,
Reason I mentioned single stage is not the volume but learning each step of the process and the Lee Turrent can run in both modes.. I feel it is easier to understand if you learn one step at a time. The Lee Turrent should be able to produce 100 rounds in an hour. If the OP decides he wants to stay with reloading and later upgrades he can still use the Lee Turrent to perform decapping, Resizing with a GRX die seperatly, trim dies etc. or just sell it. If he doesn't stay with it like I stated he is not out of much money. One doesn't need the best single stage press to learn on a single stage press especially with pistol and short non magnum rifle rounds. Getting whatever press in kit form is a great way of getting a lot of what one needs and save a couple of bucks.
My views I gladly and freely shared for the sake of discussion.

BTW a Lee Turrent has been in use by a friend for over 20 yrs, maybe 30. It was the org 3 holer. My last RCBS Jr press (the others I gave away or sold) is over 20+ yrs old. My org Rockchucker I purchased in 76. With two of us tag teamig the operation I was able to get 60 rounds an hour. My 550 I ahve had since 98 and can get easily over 400 rounds an hour but am much more comfortable at 250 which is also case gauged as well as having to reload my primer tube (keeps me slowed down). So there is something about durability and the speed of a single stage press, turrent press and a semi progressive press. If you have more time then money the turrent is the cheapest way to get a higher production rate than a single stage without the cost of a semi progressive or progressive press. Lee is economical but does have okay products at a very affordable price.

dennishoddy

I still have my old RCBS junior kit from 1980, and the Lee loader in 12 ga from the same year. Very inexpensive equipment to start out, and it still gets used to this day for specialty loads.
Properly maintained, It will last many lifetimes.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I am with Dennis on the Load-All. I have two. Though I have a bench full of Mecs and a Pacfic that usally get used I still use the Load-Alls if I am trying a load becasue I am lazy about resetting my press or using some odd ball hull that I normally don't use. Those things were old when I purchased them used. So I would say 20 yrs-ish.

dennishoddy

I normally use the Lee load all for 3" loads, or #4 shot heavy loads for hunting. The RCBS grand only has bushings for #6 or smaller.
When first starting in the trap sports, the Load-all really got a work out. :D

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I even went as far as cutting a pc of 2x4 so I didn't have to feel the crimp. Just stood up the pc of wood and pressed until I hit the wood. Mine got used, but I am sure not as much as yours if you were a trap an dskeet shooter.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
HH used to have a good reloading class and decent hired help before the mutiny. If you're really interested, call up and ask for Don, if he still works there he probably will be the one teaching it.

tzimm007

Fanatic
Been doing some studying and I like that Lee classic turret for the money but I don't like the accessories that come with the kit. Any recomendations?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?inzafp

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
All of the major Reloading folks sell acc kits. Check them out and read the reviews then ask here. All will get the job done even the Lee stuff.

dennishoddy

Thats true. All dies, no matter from RCBS, Dillon, Hornady or what ever will fit any loader that I'm familiar with.
Loaders go up and down. Thats it. No rocket science there.
You can go with a single stage, which will perform each stage of the reloading process.
You can deprime, and resize all of your rounds with one die.
Primers are inserted with a priming tool before using the press, or most presses have a primer tool built in. Sometimes its quicker to use the priming tool, and there are different models.
The dies will bell the mouth of the case to accept a bullet, as well as allow a powder feeder to load powder into the case. The instructions that come with the dies are tried and true. Stick with the instructions, and you can't go wrong. Any questions, let us know. Lots of experienced loaders on this forum.
It sounds complicated, but its really not if one follows the basics, and pays attention to the powder manufactureres recommended loads.
Producing safe/accurate loads is the primary objective.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Dennis is spot on.
The only press I am aware that uses non-standard dies is the Dillon Square Deal.
Best with your quest.

tzimm007

Fanatic
Thanks to all for tips! I'm sure I'll be bugging y'all for awhile!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?trv3my

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Just like firearm safety we want folks to be safe reloading. It progresses the sport instead of just the opposite. I was lucky. At 13 my BIL introduced me to reloading and at 16 I purchased my Rock Chucker and acc kit. Some folks just don't have the opportunity to be shown. Just take it step by step, double check your load data and powder charge along with OAL and you should be fine. Use data from a source that can verified as well.
A little tid-bit. When using your scale make sure there isn't even the slightest draft around. I got lazy and shut the vent nad closed the door, but there was still enough force to cause me to adjust my powder charge wt and well, it was interesting. Took me a bit to figure that one out. Could had been bad.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't say enough good stuff about RCBS! then again I have made many precision loads at the range with my Lee handpresses! there would be NO way I could shoot USPSA or 3-gun if it weren't for my Dillon 550! or Feegee for that fact LOL

I would suggest that you spend time on a single stage press, get the hang of what things happen and do with the dies and how you set things before you dump the cash on a blue machine plus the single stage you will use much more than you think even after you go to a progressive! all my loads are worked up on a singlestage unit the RCBS Rockchucker I bought more years ago than I care to admit, all my 223 loads go thru that press even though I have the Dillon.

You ask away and don't think a question is too stupid! that gets people hurt and we have all been there before, I know I have about 30 years of rifle loading under my belt, not much on the pistol stuff but it's about the same except you can blow something up much easier with pistol stuff.

If ya can't find a class I might be a good guy and let ya play a bit on my loaders, I'm helping Feegee out and think I'm doing ok as we shot his reloads this past weekend and no backward primers hehe. Ask questions we don't mind and will help ya granted we might give ya a touch of a hard time LOL Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Speaking of scales, I've never used anything but RCBS beam scales.
I've followed threads on other forums about which to get and most of the time the consensus has been beam scales.
I'm sure there are quality digital units out there, but with no personal experience, I can't say what model.

Latest posts