Reloading Recipes

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
" .45acp: 4.8 grains of BULLSEYE under a 230grn round nose"
I recall reading (somewhere) that 5.0 gr of Bullseye with a 230 gr FMJ was considered a "standard load" for many shooters, was used for a lot of years.

Haven't tried SNS bullets , yet. But think I'll give them a try, next order. I like the DG bullets I tried, but they USED to use Hi Tek coating, but say they've switched, to another un-named product. I'd rather stick with Hi-tek, as it's got a good history. I've got a good supply of bullets, + another order "processing"
and have a good supply of pistol ammo already loaded.. I'm running out of storage space. Need to shoot more :)

Yep. I believe 5.0gr under a 230gr FMJ is the original "GI Hardball" recipe used in NRA bullseye shooting and was a standard for years (given it's success in World Wars). It's stout, and accurate (depending on bullet manufacturer).

I shoot USPSA, and as long as I make "major power factor", I'm good to go. At 4.8gr's I'm still making major power factor for competing, but it has less recoil than the standard "GI Hardball".....

stevev331

Fanatic
If I may... One of my favorite 5.56 loads is a 62gr Hornady bullet with cannelure, using 24.5 gr of H335. I am getting just around 2800fps according to my chronograph. It shoots pretty straight.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
If I may... One of my favorite 5.56 loads is a 62gr Hornady bullet with cannelure, using 24.5 gr of H335. I am getting just around 2800fps according to my chronograph. It shoots pretty straight.
Hey, that's very close to my favorite. I'm loading a tad hotter at 25.2 gr of H335 with a 55 gr bullet and a CCI magnum primer. I'm getting right around 3100 fps. It's surprisingly accurate.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
one of my favorite 223 /5.56 loads was made using WC-846 powder. Was bulk/ surplus powder, & was inexpensive when I started using it.
As it became more popular, price escalated & now, can't even find it anywhere. I loaded 25.5 gr with either a 55 gr FMJ/BT or a 50 gr. frangible bullet (when 55gr. pills were hard to find) Both loads shot equally well thru all my Ar's. As I used surplus powder, and often, pulled pullets, I considered these my "plinker loads"
though @ 50 yds. I shot 1 hole ( about .5" ), 5 shot groups on several outings.

I used a good amount of my WC-846 powder in my .308 loads, where it worked equally well.

Latest posts