Reloading .223

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
Hello everyone. I have not been on for a long time but im back and need some help.
I'm loading 55gn FMJ maybe 40gn FMJ.
I'm starting to reload .223's and not finding primmers called out in my reloaders book ( Rem 7 1/2 )
Is this the best primmer?
or
What is the best primmer for this round that works for you?
what is the best powder as well?

thanks for the info.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
What are you using them in and what are you loading them with?

You likely won't see much difference in primers, powder will have more noticeable effects. That said, in an AR, a harder primer like CCI would be less likely to have a slamfire vs a soft primer like Federal.

If your loading on a progressive powders like 748, Tac, x-terminator will meter a lot better than anything made by IMR or other extruded powders like Varget.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You can use any small rifle primer with a full mass BCG. I have used a lot of all of them, including Remington 6-1/2, except odd brands like S&B. If you go low-mass operating parts then you'll eventually have a slam fire. Titanium firing pin will fix that.

I don't know if there is a best powder. Keep an eye out for Accurate 2200 and 2230.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
H335 works for me. I don't load on a progressive though. I just buy bulk and load for .223 for accuracy.

dennishoddy

Varget is tough to beat. Its not temperature sensitive. If you going for max load, it will fill the case. You will hear crunching while seating the bullet. It won't hurt anything or create pressure problems.

Latest posts