Refinishing

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone have first hand experience with getting a 1911 refinished? I am looking for someone that can redo my DW Guardian, with a deep,wet look finish. Maybe even a really glossy, deep blue job. Not planning on dropping it, but I do want to have sone laser engraving done on it after it is refinished. I want to make a one of a kind VietNam50th. Anniversary piece that I can leave behind. I have the designs planned out, but I need that really nice finish to ready the canvas.
Suggestions will be appreciated, with links if possible. Thanks in advance
Mike

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree, but due to an accident with a solvent, I had to take the slide down below their "Duty Finish". It was almost too easy, all I used was a scotchbrite green pad. As you can see, by the poorly done, phone picture below. I didn't work on the serrations, but I will if I find the right finish.
Guardian slide.jpg

More work to be done, but not as hard as I thought it would have been. As for the frame, I don't think it will need to be changed. My project centers on that slide. Sort of building an heirloom. Hopefully for grand kids and beyond. Thanks for chipping in.

WWB

Well-Known Fanatic
The only finish that your going to get a high polish out of that can be applied over stainless would be a DLC finish that's I know of anyway. The problem is that not many smiths will do a high polished DLC finish anymore. Standard bluing or black oxide will not work on stainless steel.

ZoidMeister

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree, but due to an accident with a solvent, I had to take the slide down below their "Duty Finish". It was almost too easy, all I used was a scotchbrite green pad. As you can see, by the poorly done, phone picture below. I didn't work on the serrations, but I will if I find the right finish.
View attachment 2649

More work to be done, but not as hard as I thought it would have been. As for the frame, I don't think it will need to be changed. My project centers on that slide. Sort of building an heirloom. Hopefully for grand kids and beyond. Thanks for chipping in.

Mike,

I don't mind saying, I really like the way it looks after your scotchbrite session.

Z

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, that was a save. The solvent that comes with those gold inlay filler kits, will, when applied to the DW duty finish, "eat it". That's a really bad feeling when you watch it happen to a new gun. Didn't leave many options. From what I'm hearing, it may well be the finish I stick with.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic

The Duty Finish, ferric nitrocarborizing, black nitride, melonite, tennifer, what ever you care to call it, is still present. You only removed the outer black finish. Duty Finish or nitrocarburizing itself is actually grey in color. In order to make the gun black, the gun gets a second treatment in a completely different solution to make it black.

As to your original question, there are processes to get the slide to a polished look you are wanting. The frame, being alloy, can only be anodized or sprayed.

Trooper343

Fanatic
Anyone have first hand experience with getting a 1911 refinished? I am looking for someone that can redo my DW Guardian, with a deep,wet look finish. Maybe even a really glossy, deep blue job. Not planning on dropping it, but I do want to have sone laser engraving done on it after it is refinished. I want to make a one of a kind VietNam50th. Anniversary piece that I can leave behind. I have the designs planned out, but I need that really nice finish to ready the canvas.
Suggestions will be appreciated, with links if possible. Thanks in advance
Mike

Turnbull can give you the answer to your question. Depends on what you want to pay.https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/product-category/the-showroom/turnbull-finished-firearms/

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I kinda like the scrubbed finish as well. If you want to explore finish options, Turnbull, and a guy that does some very interesting gun finishes, Bobby Tyler, Tyler Gun Works. https://tylergunworks.com/

Latest posts