Reducing the report of a gun from the shooter's perspective

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
I didn't know where to ask this, so I put it in General Discussion to get highest visibility! Mods, feel free to move it if you think it could be categorized differently!

I've been thinking about muzzle brakes, and how they work and what they do, so I did some research. Basically, they take the gasses released from the bullet being fired and direct them back at the shooter. The muzzle brake "catches" the gas and propels the rifle forward, thus reducing felt recoil (at the expense of making the report louder for the shooter). Because of the increased report, rifles with muzzle brakes are not recommended for hunting.

My question is, does someone make a muzzle brake that reduces the noise for the shooter (other than putting a can on the barrel)? Or is that even legal?

I've heard that the BATFE classifies a "suppressor" as anything that reduces the decibel level by 1 dB, but is that in general, or from one perspective or another?

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know about the ATF, but this is what the USC has to say about it:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

18 USC ? 921 - Definitions
(a) As used in this chapter?
(24) The terms ?firearm silencer? and ?firearm muffler? mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
I've heard good things about linear compensators. THey are designed to funnel the muzzle blast forward. You'll still need ear pro but with something like an SBR or pistol chambered in a rifle caliber then it may help reduce blast heading at the shooter.

Of course, the cost will probably be a hellacious flash. TANSTAAFL in the muzzle device world.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
I use a KIES linear compensator. They're perfectly legal. They don't reduce the dB rating, they just project it away from the shooter slightly. You'll still need earpro, but it won't rattle you like a brake will. It's definitely not a flash suppressor; it'll hurl a fireball out there in low-light.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KIES_Blast_Master_Linear_Compensator_p/kies-blst mstr30.htm

I didn't get it to reduce felt recoil or anything; this particular one doesn't have to be indexed to the barrel. I use a thread on suppressor, so I didn't want to buy a new crush washer each time I used the can.

Muzzle brakes will rattle your teeth. If you want to redirect the noise outward, get a linear compensator.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Any engineering types on here? I'd like to see how to calculate the dispersion (think exhaust plume) out of a straight, flat muzzle. Between knowing how to calculate that and the speed and mass of the propellant gasses, you should be able to design a compensator that either delays the gas just slightly (not like a can, but milliseconds) or redirects them appropriately. Most of the web resources about MAKING brakes that I have found are of the 'try drilling some holes in it and see what she does' sort.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
long ago, for my first AR, i got what they called a russian muzzle brake at a gun show.

i think it reduces recoil but its been so long since i fired that gun i dont remember about flash.

it is a little longer than an A2 style. it is stepped down in size 2 or 3 times in size and there are holes drilled all around each step getting progressively smaller. i think they cant forward. guess i need a pic.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/1002821ye.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/1002822qy.jpg/

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
I use a KIES linear compensator. They're perfectly legal. They don't reduce the dB rating, they just project it away from the shooter slightly. You'll still need earpro, but it won't rattle you like a brake will. It's definitely not a flash suppressor; it'll hurl a fireball out there in low-light.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KIES_Blast_Master_Linear_Compensator_p/kies-blst mstr30.htm

That looks a lot like the Levang linear compensator.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ators/levang-linear-compensator-prod5594.aspx

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
We really just need to do away with silly rules regarding suppressors. They provide a bunch of upside for shooters and their neighbors, and there is no benefit to regulating them at all.

beerman

Well-Known Fanatic
John Canuck said:
We really just need to do away with silly rules regarding suppressors. They provide a bunch of upside for shooters and their neighbors, and there is no benefit to regulating them at all.

What about the "tax" the government collects to punish responsible, law-abiding gun enthusiasts?

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
They should increase the "Tax" but only require those who use it for illegal purposes to pay it, like for poaching or assassination. Also known as a "Fine".

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I have no idea how many suppressors are sold in a year, but at $200 a pop, it's chump change compared to the silly waste that exists at the fed level alone. Just deregulate them and be done with it. Criminals will do what they do and the tool they use is irrelevant.

beerman

Well-Known Fanatic
John Canuck said:
I have no idea how many suppressors are sold in a year, but at $200 a pop, it's chump change compared to the silly waste that exists at the fed level alone. Just deregulate them and be done with it. Criminals will do what they do and the tool they use is irrelevant.

I completely agree, just saying that the government won't want to get rid of an income stream, even if for every $200 they bring in they spend $400 approving the damn paperwork...

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
^^^ Wow, that looks like a step back in time :lol: That is possibly older than I am.

where have you seen one before? know anything about it? yes I bought it in the 80s, you whipper snapper. :lol:

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:
11B3XCIB said:

That looks a lot like the Levang linear compensator.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ators/levang-linear-compensator-prod5594.aspx

What I like about the KIES compensator vs the Levang is that the KIES has wrench flats on it, so you can tighten it with confidence and that the KIES has a slight "wall" that extends forward past the vents so the blast is further directed forward, if ever so slightly over the Levang.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
11B3XCIB said:
^^^ Wow, that looks like a step back in time :lol: That is possibly older than I am.

where have you seen one before? know anything about it? yes I bought it in the 80s, you whipper snapper. :lol:

I haven't seen that specific one, but I seem to recall some like it. Found a variety of Russian products and their muzzle attachments in some caches in Iraq.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
What I like about the KIES compensator vs the Levang is that the KIES has wrench flats on it, so you can tighten it with confidence and that the KIES has a slight "wall" that extends forward past the vents so the blast is further directed forward, if ever so slightly over the Levang.

I do like the flats, although the KIES looks a good bit heavier.

Only reason I'd want anything other than the A2 that's on there, though, is to control muzzle rise for follow-up shots. How does the KIES do on that?

Latest posts