Red Dots

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I put together an AR carbine last night, and it has no sights, and no FSB. I also got a small pile of money, but am ambivalent about spending it all on an Eotech or Aimpoint.

Is worthwhile to consider something like a Vortex Sparc or Primary Arms Micro Dot? I feel like this gun won't be shot much in general, maybe 300-600 rounds per year, but it definitely will see some 3-Gun action. There don't seem to be any reviews out there by people who chuck their rifle into a barrel or throw it down on a table, regarding mid-range priced red dots.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
I can't speak to throwing one onto a table or into a barrel, but my Vortex Strikefire has held up quite well to general range/class abuse (VTAC board; in/under/around car bumpers; on/under/over railroad ties; etc.) for over 8,000 rounds. Palmetto State (who should...cough, cough...be a sponsor here) should have them on sale this weekend. For under $175, I'm not sure you can do better regarding the balance of cost & quality.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strikefire-red-dot-scope-for-ar15

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/vortex-strikefire-red-green-dot.html

JustSayWhen

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been using the Lucid HD7 (newest generation) for three gun for the past year and it has held zero and held up like a champ! I abuse my rifles and shoot more than most. I highly recommend it for what you are talking about. I like it a lot but not a huge fan of the battery life. Look them up its worth checking out. When I get a 1-6x scope for three gun it will go on my backup carbine, just in case. We have them at Stillwater Armory if you have time swing in there is also huge sales going on here today, check our Facebook.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Micah_Rowe said:
What about the C-More Sport or Tactical models?
I'm not opposed to anything that will take abuse and hold zero in spite of it. I would want a dot size of 1 or 2 MOA, though I might take a 3MOA dot.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
These aren't a bad alternative to an Aimpoint if you are on a budget. You can usually find them at a big discount starting about this time of year. You will need to keep batteries in your bag unlike the Aimpoints. Has a 5mil dot though so that might be a deal breaker.

How much can you spend? I picked up a used Aimpoint PRO for less than 4 Benjamins.

Edit: The Burris AR536 looks interesting too, but I'd go Aimpoint at the same price point.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
You can find a genuine Aimpoint PRO with that. The mounts that come with them are pretty decent too. I do love me some Aimpoints.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a Aimpoint guy but their doing a $60 mail in rebate until Jan. You can get a 512 around $325ish. Thinking about putting one on my 9mm AR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a eotech 512 new condition with box and dust cover for $325.00. If I was gonna order an aimpoint I would check out larue one of the cheapest places to get em new and you get their mount. Of course it's always cheaper second hand.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
If you aren't gonna shoot it just get a bushnell trs25... 85 bucks and pretty good quality

$400 budget, get a eotech 512.
nice fov, and if you were to buy Squids, you could sell it in 3 years for what you paid

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Primary Arms has their Micro Dot on sale with an AR riser for $59.99. I like mine. Small investment, small risk. I also have a Vortex SPARC I like. Just bought another Primary Arms Micro Dot as a gift for my gf's brother to go on a rifle I'm building him.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Mitch H&H has a Sparc for $140 today only

20131129_111845_zpse1c3d072.jpg

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I went ahead and got an Aimpoint from Palmetto. Too good to pass up, and the battery life is very attractive. Time to set up a calendar reminder for battery replacement.

Feegee

The Magic Man
Primary Arms has their Micro Dot on sale with an AR riser for $59.99. I like mine. Small investment, small risk. I also have a Vortex SPARC I like. Just bought another Primary Arms Micro Dot as a gift for my gf's brother to go on a rifle I'm building him. Would this work on a semi auto shotgun you think?

Latest posts