"Red Dot" Sights with Green Illumination?

Talking Monkey

New Fanatic
I’m interested in trying out a red dot sight on my AR, but because I’m color blind, I don’t pick-up red nearly as well as I do green. I know that the Vortex StrikeFire II and Spitfire/Spiitfire AR have the option of red or green; are there any others? Between the StrikeFire II, Spitfire, and Spitfire AR, which one would be better for 3Gun/2Gun (mostly local bay-style matches)? Thanks!

dennishoddy

The red dots work best in bright daylight.
The green for me anyway works best at night. The only night shooting I do is on armadillo's and varmints in the barnyard, but it shows up much better.
Conversely, when it comes to laser, the green is best in daylight. I suspect it's the light spectrum produced and the eyes ability to process that which makes the difference.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
The Strikefire II would be a cost effective way to see if your eyes pick up the green dot better. I saw them for like $130 over the Thanksgiving weekend.

The Spitfire optics are a prism sight and have an actual etched reticle like a normal scope, so the illumination isn't even necessary to use the optic. It's more of an enhancement. In really bright daylight I sometimes just left my illumination off.

I think a dot sight is faster than the prism optics due to the unlimited eye relief. But that may just be what I'm used to.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
The Leupold Mark AR SPR Firedot has a green dot vs a red but is a variable 1.5-4x optic with dot. it’s a little more than the vortex, but solid for the price range. Good luck and hope you find somethig that fits your style.

I posted some pics so you can see what it looks like and the reticle with/without the SPR Fire dot. The dot intesity is adjustable so you can get the right level for your needs. Also just as the vortex it comes with a lifetime guarentee.

Attachments

• 0B6BBD20-9F40-4960-9C82-A7FE135BA050.jpeg
    0B6BBD20-9F40-4960-9C82-A7FE135BA050.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 22
  • 17A6856E-CE73-450E-830B-1F8A8A27C71F.jpeg
    17A6856E-CE73-450E-830B-1F8A8A27C71F.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 012AF666-A436-4465-87CA-4513B239548C.jpeg
    012AF666-A436-4465-87CA-4513B239548C.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 19

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
AKjosh12 said:
The Leupold Mark AR SPR Firedot has a green dot vs a red but is a variable 1.5-4x optic with dot. it’s a little more than the vortex, but solid for the price range. Good luck and hope you find somethig that fits your style.

I posted some pics so you can see what it looks like and the reticle with/without the SPR Fire dot. The dot intesity is adjustable so you can get the right level for your needs. Also just as the vortex it comes with a lifetime guarentee.
I have this scope. It is great. I bought it used and paid 450 or 500 about 2 years ago. It has been great since I got it sighted in.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

Talking Monkey

New Fanatic
AKjosh12 said:

Funny that you mention that. I have the Mark AR in both the 1.5-4x and the 3-9x - that is how I know I really like the green illumination. Looking for something similar but in a dedicated 1x red dot. I can get a deal on Vortex so my plan was to get a StrikeFire II to try it out just like MikeF suggested, but I was wondering if there are other options.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Ya, sorry man I’m not sure? Looked at a bunch of sights and it looks like the vortex is the best option for a green dot that I could find. Have you tried calling Leupold and asking if they could make the dot on their delta point green due to your color vision? Either way let us know what you find out.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Talking Monkey said:
Thought I'd update this thread for anyone else who might be interested in a "green" dot sight. Looks like Holosun has a couple of new options:

HS503GU Elite Green Circle Dot
HS510C Open Reflex Sight - Green

I see mixed reviews on the Holosun optics. Anyone here have good luck using them in 3gun? Which of these two would be a better competition option?
Holosun is good stuff. The 510c is a pretty nice optic on its own, but especially for the price.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had good experience with Holosun. I bought a 403c a couple years ago and a 503c recently. I've been impressed by the build quality, glass and reticle.

They aren't expensive but they definitely don't feel cheap.

toothandnail

Well-Known Fanatic
Eotech has a new XPS line with green, glad to see the big guys finally catching up with the cheap crap.
I have always prefered green, problem was the $40 sights don't hold up.

Latest posts