Red Dot sight for 1911

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Nope just irons for me! Thought about red dot on pistol but don't want to have multiple fighting options on my pistols! I switch carry from 1911 to others such as high power, Sig P365XL and carious revolvers so I need to be able to rely 100% on muscle memory. That is too many options to put red dots on all of them so I just haven't tried them on pistols.
Red dots and optics need to be on rifles where they belong. Unless your a Leo or competitive shooter. I know some love them but not for me.
Concur for EDC it's iron sights for me. People get a handgun for concealed carry then add lights, red dots, back up warning devices etc. then it's no longer a concealed carry gun...you need a backpack to carry it. Plus all kidding aside. Anything with a battery "will" fail when you need it...if shooting competition then two slides is a grreat idea...

bigbob76

Fanatic
My vision has gotten so bad I usually shoot my guns with Burris Fastfire red dots. An STI Trojan, S&W Model 27, and an M&P C.O.R.E. 9mm. I love all of my 1911s and hope that after I have cataract surgery I can see the iron sights.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
My vision has gotten so bad I usually shoot my guns with Burris Fastfire red dots. An STI Trojan, S&W Model 27, and an M&P C.O.R.E. 9mm. I love all of my 1911s and hope that after I have cataract surgery I can see the iron sights.
Have you tried an old technique called profiling the slide??? Using the entire slide as a sight not as accurate as the sights but will work on a man size target. You even out all the surfaces on the slide left, right & top.

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't get it................Seems like some people just don't/won't go to Red Dot sights. All kinds of reasons (as stated in above posts), most of which are not applicable or necessary. My EDC is a Commander and after adding a new top end with a red dot it still fits my IWB holster and my OWB holsters. I added the red dot, but on my EDC I don't have any other "Accessories". I carry a light separately along with a spare mag. Maybe some people attach every kind of "bells & whistles" device......but no one I know does., at least not on their EDC. Here's a pic of my EDC in my IWB holster.
IWB for 1911 w-red dot 2.JPG
here's what I wear on my off side..............
SANY0004.JPG

TR

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Concur, I have enough problems with EDC & concealment don't need more gadgets to bulk up. Don't get me wrong understand the value of red dots & lights. But down here with shorts, flip flops & T-shirts... I'm sure you understand.
By the by nice looking rig.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Concur, I have enough problems with EDC & concealment don't need more gadgets to bulk up. Don't get me wrong understand the value of red dots & lights. But down here with shorts, flip flops & T-shirts... I'm sure you understand.
By the by nice looking rig.
Am in T-shirts and shorts mostly year round except for a couple of months north before I go to my place in Florida and have no trouble concealing my AIWB gun with Red Dot sight. I simply wear two T-shirts, with the under inside the belt (pants) and the other outside. Of course, I know that all of this concealed stuff is dependent on body type and the particular gun. My Red Dot is on a ZEV, 4" bbl.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Am in T-shirts and shorts mostly year round except for a couple of months north before I go to my place in Florida and have no trouble concealing my AIWB gun with Red Dot sight. I simply wear two T-shirts, with the under inside the belt (pants) and the other outside. Of course, I know that all of this concealed stuff is dependent on body type and the particular gun. My Red Dot is on a ZEV, 4" bbl.
Thanks but I'm hot enough with one T-shirt...Guess I'm just weird...I even cut the necks & sleeves off my T-shirts...modified/custom Guinea Tees...
See your a navy corpsman...Semper Fi & Godspeed

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm 65 and I'm sure a red dot would help, but I would never put one on my 1911.
I did recently get a Hellcat and I am going to get the wasp, we'll see how that goes.

RSCamaro

Active Fanatic
I acquired an Accuracy X Multi-sight slide kit from a freind that just didn't have time to build a pistol. Its a great concept as you can have a fixed, adjustable, and optics all on the same pistol without losing zero. Mine is set up semi permanently as a red dot. It is probably the most accurate pistol I own.

...Ron

Attachments

• 2239D0B8-C77E-4089-8E3E-EC6C8B95C108.jpeg
    2239D0B8-C77E-4089-8E3E-EC6C8B95C108.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • F60CA379-699B-41F8-809F-7E71467802A3.jpeg
    F60CA379-699B-41F8-809F-7E71467802A3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm 65 and I'm sure a red dot would help, but I would never put one on my 1911.
I did recently get a Hellcat and I am going to get the wasp, we'll see how that goes.
The other day I was working with some people trying to teach them how to shoot. Several had problems seeing the sights on a 1911 & a S&W but as soon as they held a Glock with the Tritium night sights they had no problems...

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
The other day I was working with some people trying to teach them how to shoot. Several had problems seeing the sights on a 1911 & a S&W but as soon as they held a Glock with the Tritium night sights they had no problems...
I agree, once you get the hang of the Glock pistol they are extremely accurate.
I purchased a Glock when they first came out. I was always into 1911's and Smith revolvers . I had trouble shooting the Glock so I blamed the gun and sold it. Now about 3 years ago I went to North Carolina, I went to a shooting range and I rented a Glock 21. I took a few shoots and the same thing, I sucked. Luckily next to me was a sheriff shooting his Glock he came over and introduced himself and politely told me it wasn't the gun it was me. He said he carried the 21 one for many years on the job.He adjusted my grip , gave me a few pointers and just like that I was constantly hitting the X. He smiled and told me to have a great day. I still have my 1911 and revolvers but I now have 5 Glocks. I have the ameriglo sights on 4 of them. Great guns. They work for me.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I agree, once you get the hang of the Glock pistol they are extremely accurate.
I purchased a Glock when they first came out. I was always into 1911's and Smith revolvers . I had trouble shooting the Glock so I blamed the gun and sold it. Now about 3 years ago I went to North Carolina, I went to a shooting range and I rented a Glock 21. I took a few shoots and the same thing, I sucked. Luckily next to me was a sheriff shooting his Glock he came over and introduced himself and politely told me it wasn't the gun it was me. He said he carried the 21 one for many years on the job.He adjusted my grip , gave me a few pointers and just like that I was constantly hitting the X. He smiled and told me to have a great day. I still have my 1911 and revolvers but I now have 5 Glocks. I have the ameriglo sights on 4 of them. Great guns. They work for me.
I've got astigmatism and my strong side eye is my weakest. I've found that the Truglo TFO (Tritium Fiber Optic) sights work great for me. The fiber optic gathers light and illuminates in daylight. The tritium illuminates the fiber optic at night. This amounts to the best of both worlds for me. A set usually costs only around 85 bucks. I'm not very familiar with Ameriglo. They probably work the same way.

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got astigmatism and my strong side eye is my weakest. I've found that the Truglo TFO (Tritium Fiber Optic) sights work great for me. The fiber optic gathers light and illuminates in daylight. The tritium illuminates the fiber optic at night. This amounts to the best of both worlds for me. A set usually costs only around 85 bucks. I'm not very familiar with Ameriglo. They probably work the same way.
Yes they both work great. I got the Ameriglo because that's what the shop had on hand

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I already have one RDS-mounted pistol and love it. And it is in God's Caliber (.45ACP). I plan to contact Gunslingers this week about the Nighthawk.

STIStaccatoP.jpeg

Last edited:

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks but I'm hot enough with one T-shirt...Guess I'm just weird...I even cut the necks & sleeves off my T-shirts...modified/custom Guinea Tees...
See your a navy corpsman...Semper Fi & Godspeed
Marine enlisted then back in the service as a Navy doctor

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Marine enlisted then back in the service as a Navy doctor
Godspeed...every time I was ready to jump ship they gave me a set of orders I thought I'd try...before I realized it was 21 years 3 months 17 days 34 minutes...but I wasn't keeping track of time.

Latest posts