Recently the ATF attempted to prosecute an AR15 pistol owner

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
This story has been around a bit, talked about on a few AR websites. The key point to a great deal of this is common sense. Don't modify your crap! The individual in question modified a Maxim Defense cheek rest by inserting a rubber cane tip into the "brace". The prosecution stated the tip created a pad for shouldering and it also brought the length into the 13.5" length of pull zone.

Don't be stupid.....

6DDDD601-703D-4727-9A6A-09313884C971.jpeg

Funny how this pic has "Blackbeard" on the receiver

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I had read about this elsewhere also. Yeah you can buy almost any configuration you want and when it comes to things that are questionable I stick with purchased configurations!

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm bothered a little about these pistols and the ramifications of improper use.
I am just finishing up an episode of Guns&Ammo TV (first aired Oct29,2018)and Tom Beckstrand and David Fortier are doing a segment called success of the sixes where they are comparing a 6.5Grendal pistol to a 6.5Creedmoor rifle. In the shooting sequences Dave Fortier is definitely 100% shouldering the Grendel with a pistol brace and using it as a cheek rest!!!
Now I've heard about the ATF letter on shouldering with pistol braces but from the article about the gentleman's issues with the ATF this seems like a bad idea?
I'm 100% onboard with screw the ATF and quite f'ing with our rights but there needs to be a definitive ruling so we don't end up in the same scenario! My two cents and an observation I just made tonight while watching.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
One thing to remember regarding this situation is that the ATF did not search out this individual. He was being looked at for other charges that brought the spotlight of law enforcement upon himself. LEO reached out to the ATF for guidance in this. And, this is where it went.

People of been preaching for quite a while to simply don't modify a brace. The ATF has kicked out information previously stating actually they can only regulate the design of the product. They have stated that it is in proper use to shoulder brace, however unintentional momentary contact in the past has been acceptable. There has been no issues with the braces being used as a cheek rest either.

There's also been discussing about length of pull. The defendant in this case not only modified the brace, the addition of the cane rubber pad added length to the brace. When fully extended the 13.5 inch length would be exceeded. Some time ago, the ATF determined that exceeding this boundary changes the definition of the brace due to its length.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw that. Key point in all this crap is don't throw your phone at the old lady!

Personally, that guy needed prosecuted just for the abomination of an AR he assembled! That's uglier than Momma June!

:p