RCI Tube or Nordic Extension?

striped1

Well-Known Fanatic
As I sit here with my surgically repaired shoulder waiting for the 4 months and one week to get here of recoup time, I have been going back and forth whether to put an RCI 10 round tube or a nordic extension on my new 24" benelli M2.

My mind had been made up with the 10 round RCI until the new gauge was developed to square the benelli mag tube for slug accuracy v. barrel bending. My understanding is that the new gauge will not work with the RCI.\

Pro's and cons of each and your thoughts are appreciated.

Sundance74

Well-Known Fanatic
Any one piece tube is going to be heavier than a regular extension. The Nordic is nice since it's aluminum and totally modular, for $45 you can get another tube of any length and spring and use your nut and cap. The RCI has extended length caps but it's not possible to go shorter.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If TTI is building it he should have one of the tube straightener tools or he can bend your barrel too.

All of his builds I've seen use Notdic Tubes.

striped1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jessie

I had a chance to shoot Rob Romero's TTI with an RCI tube. The idea of a tube v. an extension makes the tube seem more durable. Hanging a long extension off the factory tube seems like a failure point when throwing it in and out of barrels.
I believe that Kurt had advised that the tool / gauge he developed doesn't work with the RCI tube because of dimensional differences.
It is entirely possible I am over-thinking it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
striped1 said:
I believe that Kurt had advised that the tool / gauge he developed doesn't work with the RCI tube because of dimensional differences.
It will not work with a 1 piece extended tube.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
It will not work with a 1 piece extended tube.
This is true I sent Kurt a message on enos and he confirmed that it won't work with the rci

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
striped1 said:
Jessie

I had a chance to shoot Rob Romero's TTI with an RCI tube. The idea of a tube v. an extension makes the tube seem more durable. Hanging a long extension off the factory tube seems like a failure point when throwing it in and out of barrels.

It is entirely possible I am over-thinking it.
The RCI tube is definitely stronger but the extra strength isn't really necessary unless you plan to throw your gun like a spear.

The concept of Kurt's tube straightener is that the OEM mag tubes are essentially installed crooked. So when you put the crooked OEM tube through barrel loop and it pulls the barrel out of alignment. His tool simply aligns the OEM mag tube to the receiver. You could get an RCI tube aligned incorrectly when installed too. I'm not sure what's wrong with the system that the OEM tube gets crooked. Threads maybe drilled out of alignment or the tubes are off or who knows.

Not all guns shoot slugs bad. We don't shoot slugs that frequently that it is a huge deal either.if you're really worried about it have Taran shoot your gun with slugs and see how it shoots. Maybe an non issue no matter what tube you choose.

One other thing to consider is that if you plan to fly to a match your shotgun tube is the hardest thing to get into a hard case. You can fit a 10-11 round tube installed on a gun in my pelican 1750. If you can take the gun apart completely as I do it all fits a lot better/easier.