Raine Peltokoski shooting, and winning European Rifle Championship 2015

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Open....There are only two rifle divisions in IPSC, Standard and open, Standard is iron sights, no bipods and so on. Open is do whatever you want.

We all did stuff like that on that stage. I used a Primos detachable hunting bipod that's just locked with a ball joint, so it's easy to tear off. The Finns are notorious for this kind of stuff, so the rest of us had to catch up.

IMG_9130_zpsu0vtesui.jpg

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
That's the sort of thing that makes a guy like me who is a pretty decent shooter but doesn't shoot the IPSC game feel like I'd be at such a disadvantage not knowing the ins and outs of that particular game that I'd never travel overseas to play it.

jtischauser

I'd bet other top US riflemen feel the same way. It's just not to our advantages to come compete in a sport we don't shoot with any regularity.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, it's not a deal breaker I think, this sort of thing happens maybe once per match, or maybe not.
You could have shot it prone weak hand also, which would have been basically just as good, but we did it like this since we have the gadgets. I've shot IPSC rifle successfully since 2010 before buying all these different bipods this last year because sometimes it comes in handy.
Raine doesn't use a side mounted RD either like a lot of other people, and he still won, so I'm pretty sure there are US guys that would do good. Daniel Horner and a few others placed well in the 2009 ERC. If you can shoot a rifle and are familiar with comstock scoring there's no problem.

Another problem with attracting US shooters might be the prize money....there are none, not even on big matches, traveling to matches is for the most part 100% expenses, and nothing back.

jtischauser

Payback is a big part of why I wouldn't ever go. I absolutely hate those goofy shaped Ipsc cardboard targets too. Circles/squares or human shaped targets make so much more sense visually.

I can never hit the damn A Zone because it's not where it should be.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Personally I memorize the point of aim on each target I'm shooting because of varying distances and penalty targets partially covering the target. Like short range targets you have to aim a couple inches above where you want to hit. So when I do my walkthrough I make a mental note of where I'm going to aim on each target, after a while it's sort of second nature, but that's the system I keep in my mind while shooting.
But anyway, the alpha zone on the IPSC target is most of the time just in the middle of it, and then you either aim higher or click to adjust on further targets.....or use some kind of BDC reticle, which seem to be popular in the US, to hit right on far targets.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Jesse,
If we had a match here, when it's not your busy season, that played under the IPSC rules, would you shoot it? Rifle only.. I think if more folks played under the ruleset with the target presentations they use overseas, it might light a flame under some folks to travel abroad to shoot.. Or maybe I am way off.. :)

Mike

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh yes, that's cool! If you're coming for the Nordic Championship you're in for a treat, I've shot matches there, and also training camps the last 3 years. I'm quite certain there's going to be some very cool stages utilizing the terrain in the area.

jtischauser

mike_pinto said:
Jesse,
If we had a match here, when it's not your busy season, that played under the IPSC rules, would you shoot it? Rifle only.. I think if more folks played under the ruleset with the target presentations they use overseas, it might light a flame under some folks to travel abroad to shoot.. Or maybe I am way off.. :)

Mike
I'd shoot rifle club matches any chance I got. Remember back in 2010-11 when we had USPSA, 3-gun, ProAm pistol/shotgun and all rifle matches every month At USSA and okcgc? That was paradise.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Jesse, I was talking in more of a larger scale than a monthly club match. Maybe a 8-10 stage rifle match? Something like that?

slemmo said:
Oh yes, that's cool! If you're coming for the Nordic Championship you're in for a treat, I've shot matches there, and also training camps the last 3 years. I'm quite certain there's going to be some very cool stages utilizing the terrain in the area.
I think we are going to try for sure.. Once all the match details are taken care of, we will work with Lars to see if we cant field a team.. Standard of course!! :)

jtischauser

Id go if it was within driving distance or I'd fly if I knew there were going to be awesome prizes.

The Tarheel guys just did one sponsored by Hyperfire this year. It got rained out bad but I think it had a lot of signups.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Actually, the euro championship was criticised by many for having too many short range courses that favoured pistol shooters and not true rifle shooting which a lot of the older guys prefer, but the trend is moving towards more short range hosing.

Latest posts